97.1 miles - Gutted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
Been wanting to join the 100mile club ever since I bought bike 4 months ago (Trek 7.3 FX).

Worked out a route on memory map that was 103 miles. But it turns out that the actual route took a slightly diferent route to what I thought (especially the cycle path as it is not shown very well on the map).
Got home only to discover that it was only 97.1 miles.
I'm devestated. :laugh:

But looking on the bright side, I'm 44, played a full 90 minute football match the day before, and have only been cycling for 4 months. It only took me 7h 22m (which included a 40 min break for lunch in Boston). My average was 13.2mph and my fastest speed was 39.8mph. The average would have been better if my cramp hadn't happened.

The ride was uneventful up to the 80 mile point, at which I was attacking a hill and suddenly got cramp in both thighs. My legs just locked up and I coasted to a halt and fell off onto a very nicely cut grass verge. I lay there for about five minutes in agony. I drank some water and massaged my thighs (oooerrr!) and it passed. The rest of the ride was taken at a slower speed and hills were taken in a much lower gear.

I have one confession to make. I did walk up one of the hills at the 75 mile mark :biggrin:. Well it was more like the north face of the Eiger. It was a struggle to walk up it! I would have been struggling to ride up it after 7.5miles never mind 75miles. Am I forgiven? :biggrin:

A couple of strange things though:-
1) I drank about 5 litres of water and a very large cup of coffee. So I took in getting on for 6 litres of fluids and never had pee all day! :laugh: What is that all about?
2) I got in and expected to be starving hungry but I wasn't. When I did have something to eat, I had great difficulty swallowing, as my throat was really sore. Would all the hard breathing have caused this. It is much better now (about 4 hours after I got back) but I can still feel it.
I had been suffering with a heavy cold all last week (I still have the remains of it now), so maybe a hangover from that.

Can I be forgiven the 2.9 miles? :laugh:
Or will I have to do it again?
I suppose next time it will be easier.

Garz

Squat Member
1) Hydration

2) I usually am hungry, maybe you eat well during the ride. I get this during a ride caused by breathing in through the mouth instead of the nose.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

(well done btw) :biggrin:

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Get yourself a bike computer so you know how far you have gone.
I have got one on my phone (sports tracker) but it is kept in my bumbag and it is a pain to get out. So I only checked it when I got home.

when I did my first 100 I got back to my home town and I had done 87 miles so I did a lap and a half of the town to get over the 100
I was thinking of doing that, but it felt like cheating and did not seem conceptually right.

maybe you eat well during the ride
No never eat during my ride as it just directs the blood to my stomach instead of my legs. In fact all I had to eat all day was a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes before I left, then a small bacon and mushroom pannini and a slice of walnut cake at the halfway point. So the cramp my have been down to low fuel.

(well done btw) ;)
Thanks. I thought is was pretty good effort for an old fart like me :smile:. Especially as the bike is standard and I just have flat peddles with no toe clips. Clipless might have improved my time / speed.

I generally keep myself fit, but this was an eye opener. Makes you even more in awe of the top cyclists.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Gixxerman said:
I have got one on my phone (sports tracker) but it is kept in my bumbag and it is a pain to get out. So I only checked it when I got home..

Couldnt be doing with that, just get a cheap one mine just shows speed, average, distance and time but it is there in front of me all the time.

Gixxerman said:
I was thinking of doing that, but it felt like cheating and did not seem conceptually right..

I would say it was cheating if you went home then back out again but to keep going until you reach you goal distance nothing wrong with that. When I got back to my home town I did my normal circuit that I do most evenings to make up the milage I didnt go home until I had got over 100 miles.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well done.

Fuelling and hydration are key to going further and going further-faster. Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty is the rule. With practice you'll find the fuelling strategy that works for you. Personally I like to have something substantial in my belly. I agree that when you stop for a burger/panini whatever, your legs feel like lead flor the next 5 miles, but that's OK, just ride peacefully for a while as you digest, it soon passes and you can then whiz along again.
Noted you also 'Attacked' a hill, maybe not the best plan when riding longer distances, not only is it inneficient but you may also cause injury as you tire.

Apart from that, bloody well done!

I remember my 100 miler last year, got home and was a few miles short, so ended up having to do a few rounds of preston docks to get over the magic number - those last couple of miles were bloody painful!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Echo the wise words of FF above. Don't beat yourself up over the 2.9 miles. You know you could have easily done it, and there will be a next tme.

I know what you mean when "attacking" a hill. I do a similar thing which I'm not sure is best, but I have the feeling I won't make it unless I maintain a certain cadence. Sometimes makes me unpopular in a group rides as others think I am showing off, but I really am not. I have an irresistable urge to to launch myself at it, and to be fair, it has worked so far........!

Anyway, well done and have a pint or three on me.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Gixxerman said:
1) I drank about 5 litres of water and a very large cup of coffee. So I took in getting on for 6 litres of fluids and never had pee all day! ;) What is that all about?

I drank 4.5 litres today on a 73 miler, two coffees for breakfast plus three cups of tea at the cafe stop. Peed once and that was a struggle! It's just rehydration, don't underestimate how much fluid your body is using

2) I got in and expected to be starving hungry but I wasn't.
This I find strange as I'm usually ravenous if I do anything around 70-100 miles. My body just screams for food. I suppose we are all different but I get this despite eating all the way round a big ride.

jimboalee

Gixxerman said:
2) I got in and expected to be starving hungry but I wasn't.

Not strange.

You went into Ketosis.

You was feeling sick rather than hungry, right?

Tired, weak and fatigued?

You drank lots of water and didn't urinate...

Classic symptoms.

You're system started to use fat while you were riding.

A natural 'back-up plan' when sugar stores are gone.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I quite like the NHS explanation of Ketosis.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Ketosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Ketosis is potentially a very serious condition that occurs when there are raised levels of chemicals, called ketones, in the blood.

Ketosis is often caused by a diet that is very low in carbohydrate. Carbohydrate is the main food group that is required by the body for producing energy, and it plays a key part in a healthy, balanced diet.
Fat metabolism

Carbohydrates are normally broken down into glucose which is then converted into energy and transported to the body’s muscles and organs.

However, if there is a lack of glucose, or if it is not possible for glucose to be broken down - for example, if your body does not produce enough insulin - the body will have to break down stored fat in order to convert it into energy. This is known as fat metabolism.

Fat metabolism causes a build up of ketones in the blood, resulting in ketosis. Circumstances where ketosis can occur include:
starvation,
diabetes mellitus (type 1 diabetes), and
alcoholism.
Ketones

As your body starts to break down fat, rather than glucose, the levels of ketone in your blood will begin to rise. Ketones are toxic (poisonous), acidic chemicals such as:
acetone,
acetoacetate, and
beta-hydroxybutyrate.

If left to build up, ketones can increase the acidity levels of your blood, which can affect your urine, and may eventually cause serious damage to your liver and kidneys.

Your body may try to get rid of the excess amount of acetone through your lungs, which can give your breath a sweet, fruity smell that is sometimes mistaken for alcohol.

Top Bottom