A 3D Printing hobby thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I got my resin printer up and running around a week ago, I'm really impressed with it :becool: I had to build a small heater unit to put inside the build enclosure in order to keep the resin at the required ~25C for optimum prints as it lives in the garage but all seems to work very well :okay: Heres a closeup of the heater unit, with preset temperature at the bottom and current air temperature at the top, with the unit bolted to the top of the Z-screw assembly.

And here are some prints appearing like magic from the liquid resin...

This is one of the printed brackets after washing and UV curing, fitted to my bike...

And just to prove it works, here it is with my computer attached to it :laugh:

So both printers are up and running in their final position now :okay: I'll have to move them both out when I insulate the wall behind them but that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm worried that once it's all insulated I might just move in to the garage full time :whistle: I think my wife might be hoping for that outcome :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I Received a Bontrager Ion front light this morning. It came with the now standard rubber band style mount but I fancied something a bit more integrated, so I did some CAD and reverse engineered it, as you do :laugh: I came up with this little doodah:

I decided to print this on the big FDM printer rather than the little resin one although realistically it would have been fine on either. Here it is about an hour later just coming to the end of the build...

And here it is with the bontrager clip inserted and fitted to my out-front stem mount ^_^

I'm now thinking of printing a combined GPS/light mount for the Bianchi in a similar style to fit the Metron 5D ACR bars 😊 These printers are jolly useful... :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've made a mk2 version already :laugh: The differences aren't huge, it's just slightly more compact and the light sits closer to the computer :okay:

I've also modelled a combined Karoo and Ion mount for the Bianchi as I had threatened to do yesterday :laugh:

I had to reverse engineer the Metron geometry so I'd be pleasantly surprised if it fits first time, but I've got one printing overnight so should be ready to try out at some point tomorrow 😊 I sure know how to have fun :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Well the initial print was pretty good - the reverse engineered geometry fit rather nicely, unfortunately I'd misjudged a couple of other key dimensions so it was too long :laugh: No matter, now I was confident with the design I tweaked it a bit and created version 2, a shorter, stiffer mount with slightly neater geometry 😊

I printed it during the day so it was ready for me to play with this evening :laugh: Here it is fresh out of the UV curing box...

And here it is mounted to the Bianchi...

Then the all important trial fits of the Karoo 2 and Ion... First the Ion...

And then both together, the real test :laugh:

Perfect :okay: It looks pretty neat from up top too...

I'm still waiting on some black engineering resin but once it arrives I'll re-print it and swap them over. Until then I'll see how I get on with this one 😄

Next job will be to design one with a mount underneath for a powerbank for longer rides :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I decided to have a play with an F3 form mount to see if I could make it fit a Karoo 2 😄

The mounts are modular and adjustable meaning the can fit lots of stem types and computers:

I've done away with the two uppermost components on the left and designed a new part to replace them including the mounting geometry for the Karoo 2:

I've just set a print going on the resin printer - the time taken per print is proportional to the print height not the print volume so you can print multiples in the same time as printing one so I've got three on the go :laugh:

I'll report back when they're finished and cleaned up ready for assembly :tongue:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd love to have a play with 3D printing but when i mention this to people they inevitably ask, "What would you print?"

To which I cautiously reply, "Erm... um... err...":blush:

So I can't really justify the expense or learning curve.

A CNC cutter under which i could place a sheet of 8' x 4' plywood on the other hand... :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I know what you mean, I've used industrial printers at work for over a decade but there's still things to be learnt about the small hobby printers 😊

These prints came out pretty well - there are a few bits to tweak on the next batch but overall I'd call it a success :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The test fit went well but identified a few more tweaks needed so I printed an updated version this morning :okay:

All looks good so I'll try it out in the morning 😊

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Did you ever consider churning out Garmin and Wahoo mounts for your CycleChat pals? :whistle: I'm sure that you could have a nice little earner if you could do them at half the buy-from-China-on-ebay rate! :laugh:

Top Bottom