A bad cycle lane?

Here is a wee video showing why I don't like one of the cycle lanes on my commute. It just so happend that a lot of the deficiencies were highlighted in one commute. It's worth watching it to the end for a wee discussion with a driver. :ohmy:
 

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Location
Winch
Good vid maggers.

Thankfully I don't have too many farcilities to deal with on my commute, but by far and away the most 'punishment passes' occur when I ignore sections that drag me close to junction exits.

I've got this theory that cyclists ignoring dedicated lanes or riding two abreast is like a gay couple holding hands in public. It stretches Joe Motorist's wafer-thin tolerance. You can almost hear them; "well, if they must ride their bikes then there's nothing I can do about it, but must they rub our noses in it?!".
 

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
Bollo said:
Good vid maggers.

Thankfully I don't have too many farcilities to deal with on my commute, but by far and away the most 'punishment passes' occur when I ignore sections that drag me close to junction exits.

I've got this theory that cyclists ignoring dedicated lanes or riding two abreast is like a gay couple holding hands in public. It stretches Joe Motorist's wafer-thin tolerance. You can almost hear them; "well, if they must ride their bikes then there's nothing I can do about it, but must they rub our noses in it?!".
:ohmy:

Nice analogy.
 
At least that driver was fairly polite at the end and we didn't need subtitles this time,and we got the now infamous 'maggers wave':biggrin::biggrin:
I agree though sometimes it's sheer madness to use the cycle lanes,but drivers are always going to moan if you don't.
 

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Location
South Croydon
potentially bad. especially for novices who don't know about the door zone. i have one just like this, and i ride just outside of it for safety.
 

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Location
Auld Reekie
Great technique for dealing with potholes, ride straight at em take no prisoners :ohmy:

That drivers was right haven't you read the Highway Code, it was printed in the Daily Wail, cyclist must use cycle lanes, they have been provided for your safety! :biggrin: [/irony mode]

Yep, that is a good example of why cycle lanes are a waste of good paint!! :smile:
 

PBancroft

Senior Member
Location
Winchester
Bollo said:
Good vid maggers.

Thankfully I don't have too many farcilities to deal with on my commute, but by far and away the most 'punishment passes' occur when I ignore sections that drag me close to junction exits.

I've got this theory that cyclists ignoring dedicated lanes or riding two abreast is like a gay couple holding hands in public. It stretches Joe Motorist's wafer-thin tolerance. You can almost hear them; "well, if they must ride their bikes then there's nothing I can do about it, but must they rub our noses in it?!".
What about gay cyclists riding two abreast whilst holding hands?
 

Jezston

Über Member
Location
London
*Daily Wail Reader's Head Explodes*
 

Jezston

Über Member
Location
London
Also, what is it with Rav4 drivers? Of all types of car (apart from taxis) it's these I get the most agressive overtakes and beeps from.
 

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Location
Winch
Jezston said:
Also, what is it with Rav4 drivers? Of all types of car (apart from taxis) it's these I get the most agressive overtakes and beeps from.
With me its Peugeots. Some of the taxis on my commute are those fugly converted Pug vans - worst of both worlds.
 
OP
M

magnatom

Guest
HJ said:
Great technique for dealing with potholes, ride straight at em take no prisoners :sad:
:smile:

I am at one with the potholes. :smile:

The truth is that I know the road so well now I have worked out safe routes through the potholes. It's my own secret cycle lane! :biggrin:
 
Top Bottom