A better commuting tyre would be...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Perry

I use Armadillos, yeah they do have a harsh ride but I'm sticking with them.

Notsoblue

I've just replaced my Armadillos with another pair of Armadillos, mainly because its all the LBS had in stock but they're pretty decent tyres. I had the current set for just over a year, and they survived the daily commute, a dozen weekend rides and a recent LEJOG with zero punctures. But it was LEJOG that finished them off, the tread is looking worn and theres about 6 small puncture marks and cuts in the tread itself from riding on bad roads covered in debris during the 1030 mile trip (which was incidentally puncture free). Anyhoo, the damage seems to be cumulative I've had three punctures in a row this week so far so this evening I decided to replace them.

dondare

Über Member
beanzontoast said:
I didn't want to put Lee off for his kind suggestion, but I did notice Armadillos were a bit heavy when I changed to Conti's. What are the Schwalbe's like to get on and off?

An absolute bugger the first time.

I dunno if they get any easier, because I've never had to fix a flat since I started using them.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
dondare said:
An absolute bugger the first time.

I dunno if they get any easier, because I've never had to fix a flat since I started using them.

S'pose that's the thing - if they don't puncture (much), and they're no more difficult than Conti's to get on and off, then they may be the better option. Heavier than Conti's though (?) and more effort in the riding (?).

redjedi

Über Member
I've been using marathon pluses since January.
They are a bugger to put on (it took two of us in the end) but since then I have not had to take them off - daily commute through London.
They are a bit on the heavy side, but a small price to pay for P***ture free riding.
I've heard they are easier to take of/put on after the first time, which I'll discover this weekend when I move them to my new wheels.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
beanzontoast said:
S'pose that's the thing - if they don't puncture (much), and they're no more difficult than Conti's to get on and off, then they may be the better option. Heavier than Conti's though (?) and more effort in the riding (?).

They get easier to take off as they get older. Had a spate of broken spokes on an old wheel and was having to take the tyre (700 x 25) off every other week. I would say that they are no more difficult in getting on and off than continental sports contacts.

jimboalee

Having trouble getting a NEW tyre on the rim?

Top-tip. Drench with boiling water until hot to touch, and then hey-presto. Use gloves.....
Leave to cool before inflating.

I've had the Schwalbe Marathon Plus on a mtb and rate them even though they are a pain to put on and maybe a bit on the heavy side... but do you really notice a real difference in weight of a few extra grammes?? Carrying a full water bottle probably weighs more!

Also had Specialized All Condition Armadillos 700x28 on my Sirrus. Had a couple of unexplained p******** and also noticed that a lot of debris seems to gets stuck to the tyre. Would have to dig bits out almost every weekend.

Recently switched to Schwalbe Stelvio Plus 700x23 and really impressed by them. LBS fitted mine so not sure how difficult it is to put on... although they did mention that it is easier than the Marathon Plus'. Hardly ever have to dig bits out of the tyre and more comfortable than the Armadillos as well even though they're narrower... the rubber smartguard protection seems to give the tyre a bit of a cushion so you get 2 for 1, protection and comfort. In addition, the tyre is noticeably quicker than the armadillo... so in fact, you get 3 in 1, protection, comfort and speed.

Got mine for £30 each but these seem like a good deal. Not had any experience with this company though!

515mm

Fatbirds?

An excellent choice, sir. Bought my bike and 'event' wheels from them. No hesitation in recommending them wholeheartedly. Give 'em my regards, won't you?

rnscotch

Veteran
I use Conti City Contact, they are less than 4 months old and i have had 4 punctures so far last one was my rear tyre last week with a bit of flint.

Plus they are a bugger to get of and on, I have a club mate who swears by these but i am having no luck with them so i am looking to get something else.

Top Bottom