A better commuting tyre would be...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am about to ditch my allegiance to Conti Gators as I've finally had enough. I find they -
a) cut up - forever digging glass out of them
:evil: slide disgracefully in the wet
c) have cost me an afternoon wrestling them on and off trying to sort out a 'lumpy' rotation in my front tyre (the darn things are so tight to fit, and I really cannot stand the thought of having to change one in the cold, dark, wet commutes coming up).

So...

Looking for something that is better at a,b,and c. Really good puncture protection would be nice. Good wear 'life'. Keeps its shape. Available in 700 x 28c (though if someone wants to convince me of going smaller/bigger I'm happy to hear why.

All suggestions welcome! :eek:

OP
OP
beanzontoast
User3143 said:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/all-condition-armadillo-tyre-ec001821 These are what I have on my langster. Nice smooth ride, cannot remember the last time I punctured. I ride the 23 but avaliable for you in 28.

Thanks, but that link's coming up 'Product not found'... :evil:

dondare

Über Member
I tried armadillos and found that they gave a very harsh ride and let in the odd puncture. I switched to Schwalbe Maraton Plus which are heavy but roll well, give a very smooth ride and haven't let me down ever, in three or four years of all-weather commuting.

jmaccyd

Conti used to do Top Tourings (now called Contacts). Only in 28mm but tough as old boots, had them on my winter bike for three winters before they literally wore out and then suffered a puncture. Good grip too, only problem is hefty rolling resistance and complete so-and-sos to get on and off

OP
OP
beanzontoast
dondare said:
I tried armadillos and found that they gave a very harsh ride and let in the odd puncture. I switched to Schwalbe Maraton Plus which are heavy but roll well, give a very smooth ride and haven't let me down ever, in three or four years of all-weather commuting.

I didn't want to put Lee off for his kind suggestion, but I did notice Armadillos were a bit heavy when I changed to Conti's. What are the Schwalbe's like to get on and off?

dragon72

Guru
I've had two sets of Armadillos that have been well sub-par. I find that they tear easily and the tread comes away from the tyre wall in patches causing a squelch sound with every rotation. That said, I've never had one p***ture on me...

I used to swear by Conti Top Tourings and wondered what the hell happened to them, so thanks jmaccyd!

OP
OP
beanzontoast
dragon72 said:
I've had two sets of Armadillos that have been well sub-par. I find that they tear easily and the tread comes away from the tyre wall in patches causing a squelch sound with every rotation. That said, I've never had one p***ture on me...

I used to swear by Conti Top Tourings and wondered what the hell happened to them, so thanks jmaccyd!

My Galaxy (second hand) came with a set of those on. Apparently, they'd been up various European mountains - and still looked ok!

OP
OP
beanzontoast
User3143 said:
[/b]

:smile: very hard from what I've read.

:blush::sad::sad:

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I've got Panaracer Crosstowns with the Tourguard lining on the old bike and quite like them; the Paselas are well spoken of as well. Crosstowns come with a very bright reflective sidewall, which I think is a good idea.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
HF2300 said:
I've got Panaracer Crosstowns with the Tourguard lining on the old bike and quite like them; the Paselas are well spoken of as well. Crosstowns come with a very bright reflective sidewall, which I think is a good idea.

Hmm... not familiar with either of these. Decent puncture protection would be great. While looking for the first one, came across this on Wiggle by the way. Not come across that before either!

PrettyboyTim

beanzontoast said:
I didn't want to put Lee off for his kind suggestion, but I did notice Armadillos were a bit heavy when I changed to Conti's. What are the Schwalbe's like to get on and off?

They are pretty tricky to get on - probably more so the smaller the tyre (I have 700x32s)

Never had to take 'em off! :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I found the pasela a bit skittery (not as slidey as the gators though).

Anecdotally, the Marathon Plus is a bugger to get on an off, although you don't have to do that often, by all accounts. The best tyre I've commuted on so far is the wire on Schwalbe stelvio - decent grip, rolls nice, and possibly the Bontrager Racelite Hardcase (didn't ride those for long, but they seemed pretty good - I was put off them by having one where the bead separated quite spectacularly from the rest of the tyre though).

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
beanzontoast said:
Hmm... not familiar with either of these. Decent puncture protection would be great. While looking for the first one, came across this on Wiggle by the way. Not come across that before either!

The Tourguard I think is a Kevlar / aramid weave in the plies, so I guess this is like a separate version. Can't help feeling buying a tyre with it in would be cheaper / simpler / less hassle to fit, though!

Top Bottom