North Bristol Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
Not sure if this is the right place, so feel free to take this down or point me somewhere more appropriate.

I moved house just before Christmas and have started commuting into work. I'm looking for advice from people familiar with Bristol for interesting routes from Bradley Stoke / Stoke Gifford into the city centre. Whilst I've only started this week, I am already reminded of how much I loved commuting by bike in years past and that come spring, longer days and better fitness that I'll want to do longer routes on quieter roads from time to time.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
IV been working in Stoke Gifford for 16 years. The main route to the centre is via the A38 Gloucester Road which in my opinion does not have good cycling infrastructure which is why I take the bus when needed.

Most of my experience is commuting between North Bristol and Eastern Suburbs. Happy to advise if required.

@Arjimlad might be of more help.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I used to commute daily from Clifton to Aztec West, so pretty much the same journey in teverse. Despite appearances even the dual carriageway bit of the A38 is perfectly OK, with pretty much a regular peloton of us doing the same commute, and perhaps slightly nicer than going via Cribbs Causeway. Once you reach Airbus/Air ballon roundabout you can carry on the A38 into town, or go right along the road d through Henleaze past the diwns

Depending on where exactly you live, there may be a viable alternative through the 'burbs to Parkway area then a few lanes / cycle paths, then past UWE then various streets to meet Gloucester Road at the Wellington / Muller road junction, then down the hill into town proper

Last edited:

Tilley

Über Member
Not to sure where in Bradley Stoke or central Bristol but this is a route which I have ridden.
Much of it is on shared paths or quite back roads.
I hope this is useful

Attachments

• route-45329144-map-full.png
    route-45329144-map-full.png
    141 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
Yeah, so the last few rides I've done have been the standard route (like you've all mentioned) typically up and down Gloucester road and then using some cycle paths or main roads.
What I was after though, is a less direct route on some quieter & nicer roads for when I want a longer ride (either for fitness or to chill out). I think I'm asking the impossible so it'll likely be I can do longer rides but the roads will still be busy or bad surface or hilly.

Attachments

• Cycle Routes.jpg
    Cycle Routes.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 13

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Hi @Maylian

I work in Bradley Stoke & sometimes ride into the city centre.

I generally use the same route as Tilley, picking up the Concorde Way both ways.

If you wanted an extended commute, you might enjoy belting down the Stoke Gifford bypass (which has a bus lane and is a 30mph limit) and joining the A4174 ring road path, heading east.

You can then either turn up Bromley Heath Road, and pick up the Bristol to Bath path (B2B) at Morrisons in Fishponds, or for an even longer ride you could stay on the ring road path & ride round to Mangotsfield Station before joining the B2B. Hope this helps & happy riding!

Tilley

Über Member
Alternatively you could head over towards UWE, drop down under the M32 by the Dower House and enter Eastville park.

Attachments

• route-45330591-map-full.png
    route-45330591-map-full.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 5

Tilley

Über Member
Alternatively you could head over towards UWE, drop down under the M32 by the Dower House and enter Eastville park.

If you want the route is a GPX drop me a PM

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran

Thanks for that, I accidentally did a similar route when I did a test ride on Sunday. Got a bit confused on Concorde Way and ended up going down past the golf centre and then in down the B4058.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thanks for that, I accidentally did a similar route when I did a test ride on Sunday. Got a bit confused on Concorde Way and ended up going down past the golf centre and then in down the B4058.

Past Gary Harris Cycles then, at the Golf Centre. Highly recommended!

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
Hi @Maylian

I work in Bradley Stoke & sometimes ride into the city centre.

I generally use the same route as Tilley, picking up the Concorde Way both ways.

If you wanted an extended commute, you might enjoy belting down the Stoke Gifford bypass (which has a bus lane and is a 30mph limit) and joining the A4174 ring road path, heading east.

You can then either turn up Bromley Heath Road, and pick up the Bristol to Bath path (B2B) at Morrisons in Fishponds, or for an even longer ride you could stay on the ring road path & ride round to Mangotsfield Station before joining the B2B. Hope this helps & happy riding!

Great idea, thanks. Just plotted a nice 20km route which I'll try on a weekend ahead of the days getting longer. I hadn't considered using the B2B path to get out of town.

I'll also check out Gary Harris as well since I conveniently had my rear mech come off on my ride home last night 😭

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Great idea, thanks. Just plotted a nice 20km route which I'll try on a weekend ahead of the days getting longer. I hadn't considered using the B2B path to get out of town.

I'll also check out Gary Harris as well since I conveniently had my rear mech come off on my ride home last night 😭

We enjoy heading north up into the Severn Vale quite a bit too. There's a nice community cafe in Oldbury on Severn which makes a good stop. up the A38, drop into Lower Almondsbury or bomb down Fernhill, then up to Littleton on Severn, you can go up to Berkeley and beyond if you want. Very popular for cyclists because of the gentle gradients.

Top Bottom