How Commuting Facilities Should Be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Local to me, a colleague happened to be there yesterday. It apparently really is as awesome as the publicity shot and press release suggests.

Even plays birdsong to you from mock bird boxes at the entrance(!)

0&fm=webp&fit=crop&crop=focalpoint&fp-x=0.5&fp-y=0.jpg

https://hamerway.co.uk/news/cycle-and-shower-hub-at-alderley-park-launches

classic33

Leg End Member
Be nice if it actually existed as shown, shadows are all over the place indicating an artists impression not a photo.

How are you expected to get your bike on the rack on/off the second tier, nearly five foot off the ground, from the rear?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Alderley Park - do I need a new job ? Be a good old commute though.

Our current cycle parking is still covered in toxic soot after a car fire.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If built as shown, there isn't enough space to pull the hydraulic top tier of the double deck rack out and tilt down, then wheel a bike on or off. Or at least, the bike would need to be pushed over the table! Do they expect people to clumsily lift their bikes on from the side? If so, it's only for able-bodied users of light bikes.

It is disappointing to see these places look good but actually be marred by bad design from not thinking use through properly.

Alex321

Veteran
Be nice if it actually existed as shown, shadows are all over the place indicating an artists impression not a photo.

Looks like a photo to me. Shadows will be all over the place with the lighting in the photo.

How are you expected to get your bike on the rack on/off the second tier, nearly five foot off the ground, from the rear?
I suspect each beam pulls out and angles down for loading bikes, but that is a guess.

There are a lot more photos if you follow the linkedin link, but none showing actually loading the top tier. There is one showing somebody holding the end handle, looking like he has just loaded his.

Alex321

Veteran
If built as shown, there isn't enough space to pull the hydraulic top tier of the double deck rack out and tilt down, then wheel a bike on or off. Or at least, the bike would need to be pushed over the table! Do they expect people to clumsily lift their bikes on from the side? If so, it's only for able-bodied users of light bikes.

It is disappointing to see these places look good but actually be marred by bad design from not thinking use through properly.

From another photo, they don't look nearly as high as the above makes them look. Only chest high when in the horizontal position.
beta&t=b6vsFWKIh0_AMM6tvEODvnnRhnuzxOtfTv7MErheOxM.jpg

But it is difficult to judge from that just how they work.

And this one makes it look like there is more space than the first photo would suggest, but makes them lok higher again. All down to camera position and angles.
beta&t=2F0VlXByGlsMElOrQICfCF3bf27IbBL3i388gk-U2aU.jpg

mjr

Here is how it should work. Note you need a bike length of space behind the tilted, extended top level, which isn't present in the images above:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABGrqmtZ3gY

That was something my local borough council got wrong, leading to one set being relocated before someone injured themselves trying to load an average bike onto the top tier. The council officers also seemed surprised that moving parts would need maintenance, which they had not budgetted for.

Last edited:

mjr

From the photo I copied above, there appears to be very similar space behind the racks as in that video.
There appears to be a concrete pillar less than a wheel in front of the bike shown in one! The table/bench/whatever looks too close to others. But we won't know for sure until someone goes tries it for real.

mjr

A bit naughty using a SS/FG/HG to avoid showing that the rear wheel support is a bit close (at best) to bashing a long cage rear derailleur. Also love the chain being so clean that they're happy to lock through it. Not the best double deck design I've seen. The usual red-handled ones used at GB train stations are better.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

I have been sent some real photos too by my colleague. It's just like that: No idea of the exact mechanics of the racking, but I think that's one in action:

20230808_175029.jpg

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

What's disappointing is that you post a whole bunch of criticism without bothering to find out the reality.

Top Bottom