Cheap commuting rucksack mixed modal commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking for a bike, train, bike, office and repeat to get home bag. Sick of one compartment drybag type.

I see commuters with rucksacks that have compartments and pockets to organise. I'm looking for that but also his for my short downhill then steep uphill back cycle section. Need external, side pockets for travel mug and water bottle with space inside for flask and lunch box in main compartment plus planners, pens, hard drives, phones, etc in other sections or pockets. Gotta be cheap as not got a lot of disposable for a good bag.

Are the cheap amazon laptop bags any good? Anything you'd recommend?

Please no panniers or attach to bike bags as I know I want and need a separate bag due to two years plus of commuting like this. I just need a replacement for an alpkit Gourdon 30l that has tiny holes and slashes all over.

Really I want to know if amazon cheapo laptop bags are OK? If not anything similar elsewhere? My online shopping skills don't seem to be great at finding reviews for such things. I keep getting USA reviews or bag reviews for products from £130 upwards!

Alpkit do drybag rucksacks. As do Lomo.

Oh you had an Alpkit. Newer versions have mesh pockets on the side. Hard to beat for value. Mine have lasted over ten years.

classic33

Leg End Member
Daysack, 30l maximum, would be your best bet. I used a Vango one* in all weathers. Using a plastic bag for anything that had to be kept dry.

*Still have it and use it when on the bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Looking for a bike, train, bike, office and repeat to get home bag. Sick of one compartment drybag type.

I see commuters with rucksacks that have compartments and pockets to organise. I'm looking for that but [...]
You might reconsider when you realise home much some bags with lots of compartments weigh, even when empty. Most that don't are really expensive.

classic33

Leg End Member
You might reconsider when you realise home much some bags with lots of compartments weigh, even when empty. Most that don't are really expensive.
£40 thirty years ago, and yet the one I bought can still be relied on when needed.

Granted, it's faded but daily use will do that

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Not as heavy as what I carry each day in my drybag rucksack, which isn't a great carry imho. I'm not actually carrying it far, most of the time it's sat next to me holding my work shoot waiting for me to access the contents. Right now it's a real pain finding stuff which is why I no longer want or need the single compartment style of the alpkit Gourdon or lomo or earth kit dry bags.

Backpacking I kit up at sub 4.5kg base load really easily but that's more noticeable when carrying it for long days in the fells. My commute is like 5 minutes station to work, 6 to 7 going back to the station. A minute from home to the station. I use a bike because I need to get from station to work in a limited time to avoid being late. Bike is over twice as quick as walking.

Imho the bag is sat not being carried much but sitting on the seat next to me longer on one train segment than over hair the week carrying it. Makes sense lower weight is better but practical organisation makes mire sense to me.

I've seen others using targus bags or roka or kanken or other similar. None of them I like on price or organisation grounds. Anything else?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
My lad has this in green for school. Not really what I'm looking for a it's simply big compartments without means to hold things within them.

Eurohike nova 25l

I own a travel rucksack from vango at 65l with carry handles, shoulder straps that zip away and luggage wheels. It came with a 20l attached/removable daysack like what I want but it's described as 20l but really isn't anywhere close. My son's old 10l holds more kit. It did have two compartments with pockets within them. Plus external phone or wallet pocket, unlikely to use due to low security. Inside the n pockets n are zipped mesh, open mesh and solid plus laptop and tablet/ereadern pockets. Just top small.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Still like my Craft Cadence although panniers are much preferred to anything on my back. Ortlieb back rollers that carry very well over the shoulder when needed.

I've got many ortliebs from standard 20l up to 35l pluses. Not one is a comfortable carry imho. Plus not one fits my Brompton. And I've never found a way to use the Brompton as a trolley even if got a front block bag option. Besides too many stairs forn that hence I need a bag I can carry while carrying my Brompton. Rucksack is the best and only real option I reckon.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can you still get Eurohike rucksacks, an own name brand used by Millets, now gone.

Why does it have to take up the seat next to you though?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Oh trains usually half empty so there's enough space to do that without preventing anyone having seat. Usually I have a table space to myself in the morning and only share with one other coming home most days. So I sit with my bag next to me so I can get to my water bottle or travel mug of coffee.

Go outdoors sells eurohike even now. Millets, go outdoors, ultimate outdoors, etc are all part of the Blacks group of course. They all probably sell eurohike.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I can relate; usually using a 33L Dakine rucksack for most things (including work).

However, this doesn't play well with the 8 miles on the Brompton that now forms part of my commute as it offers no breathability for the back and is really too large / deep / heavy to be comfortable over distance; causing my neck to ache.

So, I too am looking for a Brompton-friendly alternative of similar capacity. Options appear to be:

None-Brompton-compatable rucksack

Same problems with carrying all load on back (aching / discomfort). Ventilated options are about (I have a small Osprey which is great), however this limits capacity and few if any of their cycling bags go to 30L. Not a very viable option IMO.

Single, Brompton-compatable rucksack
On paper a good approach - easy to carry and unobtrusive when off the bike, can be hung off the front to relieve load on the upper body when on the bike. The problems are capacity and availability. To fit the back rucksacks are portrait-oriented, while this is not ideal on the Brompton as tall bags foul the bars when steering.. so this typically limits capacity. Brompton get around this with their Borough waterproof backpack by mounting it sideways on the bike; however capacity is only 17L, it's expensive (c. £180) and appears to have relatively limited provision of packing options (I too love to compartmentalise everything). This approach would be my favoured route if I could find an appropriate bag.

Single, Brompton-compatable shoulder bag
Lots more choice here as the shape of the bag for either application is very similar. Typically bags for the front of the Brompton top out at about 20-25L, so perhaps a bit smaller than ideal. There's a reasonable amount available but again none really ticks all the boxes for me. A single shoulder bag should be manageable when off the bike, however probably not as much as a rucksack; especially if it's a pretty big one. Big bags seem to look a bit excessive hung off the front of hte little bike. This is the route I expect I'll probably take, but I have my reservations.

Small rucksack, Brompton-compatable shoulder bag
What I've been running for the past two days:

- 12L Osprey Syncro for bike-specific bits (puncture repair, tools, lights, ride-specific clothing - which all live in there anyway) and personal stuff in a separate drawstring bag inside the Osprey (phone, wallet, keys etc).

- The front bag / basket (Brompton Borough) takes a bagged change of clothes (which I haven't currently used, but will if I begin to stink too much / need to become more presentable / happen to unexpectedly sh*t myself), lunch, water bottle and deodorant.

On the bike / at work this works nicely - splitting the load into manageable chunks both physically and mentally; allowing better compartmentalisation and separation. The down-side is when off the bike; having to carry / drag it as well as lugging two bags. The trolley approach with the bag still attached might be worth investigating. Also, I'm a bit less keen on the rucksack as it (and all others) tends to abrade my shirts somewhat. That aside it's a really nice little package for carrying / organising the necessaries for a typical ride.

The Borough bag / basket came with the bike and is more suitable for casual urban stuff than a longer commute (open-topped which has already seen an empty eggbox jettisoned over a speed bump and a lack of waterproofing), however it's offered value in allowing me to try a few things and get a feel for what I can pack into a given capacity.

I appreciate that a lot of the above's not directly answering your question, however what you're proposing is an approach I'd have considered before I became educated in the benefits of on-bike luggage (which you apparently already are).. the above thought process being where I am currently when faced with a similar situation to yourself.

At the moment I'll continue to run two bags while I try to get my head around the problem. It would be great if a suitable on-bike rucksack appeared, but this is probably unlikely in an appropriate timeframe. Likewise a shoulder bag that ticks all the boxes.

FWIW I've also been looking for a replacement for my Dakine for ages now (capacity and feature set are good, but it has a few shortcomings, is well worn (holed beneath with slightly dodgy zips) and tbh I really don't like the aesthetic much. Really stuggling to find anything apporpriate to replace it with, however :sad:

Good luck - I think you'll need it :tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
Osprey from Sportpursuit? Have to join up to view details (add postage cost)

Attachments

• IMG_7253.png
    IMG_7253.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7255.png
    IMG_7255.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom