Commuting (in part) through London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Looking at mixing up my commute where I can. I currently live outside London, but work in Canary Wharf several days a week. With train prices what they are, I've found it cheaper to drive to Zone 3/4 and park up there. I'm wondering if I can when the weather is right, cycle across town instead of getting the tube, if anything just to get some miles under my belt now the freedoms of lockdown have meant I get less time to dash out on the bike in lunch hours.

Currently looking at routes from Ealing, or Streatham. I can see there's CS routes on the TFL site, but not sure what the actual experience of riding them is like? Looks like both join up at Tower Bridge, so it's a case of getting from West or South to Tower Hamlets.

TIA

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Streatham is about five miles closer. Other than that, there isn't much to choose between them: some disjointed 20mph roads to get to a CS (9 from Chiswick, 7 from Clapham), then join CS3 to nearly Canary Wharf. Easy riding but quite busy.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Don't know Ealing, but close to Streatham is Colliers Wood.

CS7 starts by Colliers Wood, and is segregated alongside the A24. It switches to bus lanes for a while near Clapham Common, where there's a choice to go onto C5 through low traffic areas to Vauxhall. There's a huge choice of way to the river, or you can just stay on CS7 which crosses on Southwark Bridge.

Once over the river, I'm another fan of CS3 (now called C3?). This is segregated for miles, and has a lovely quiet section alongside Cable Street near Shadwell.

Ultimately it's 11-12 miles from Colliers Wood to Canary Wharf, most of which can be completely segregated from traffic if you wish.

Pgd

Veteran
This sounds similar to my recent thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mixed-car-bike-commute-from-sussex.293987/

When I started planning my mixed commute, my main concern was driving time/congestion, and parking. I tried to identify nice-ish looking residential streets, away from stations & with no parking restrictions, that could be easily (ish) accessed from outside the M25. I'm guessing you live closer to the M25 than me, because for me I couldn't justify the extra driving time to zone 3/4 versus 5/6 -- but then if you're talking Ealing & Streatham I'm also guessing you're coming from the SW or W and have better arterial roads than me ^_^

Anyway. Like others have said, once you're near the river the cycle routes are really good these days. I can't speak for Ealing, but from the south CS7 along the A24 through Clapham is wide and straight with bus lanes, and you can just follow the herds of cyclists. The only thing I find as a non-regular, is that there's so many new cycle facilities that it's hard to decide which ones to use vs avoid, e.g. at Elephant & Castle they no doubt had excellent intentions but for me it's all a bit much and I still avoid if I can, despite all the segregation. Horses for courses, of course. Enjoy!

vickster

Legendary Member
This sounds similar to my recent thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mixed-car-bike-commute-from-sussex.293987/

When I started planning my mixed commute, my main concern was driving time/congestion, and parking. I tried to identify nice-ish looking residential streets, away from stations & with no parking restrictions, that could be easily (ish) accessed from outside the M25. I'm guessing you live closer to the M25 than me, because for me I couldn't justify the extra driving time to zone 3/4 versus 5/6 -- but then if you're talking Ealing & Streatham I'm also guessing you're coming from the SW or W and have better arterial roads than me ^_^

Profile says he’s in Basingstoke (turn your phone to landscape to see :smile: )

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Thanks all for the replies. Yes - that's the situation. M3 all the way to SW london, or pick up M4 for Ealing. It's currently cheaper than train + tube with the post pandemic price rises. Going to give Ealing to CW a go tomorrow, roughly 14 miles. The treacherous bit seems to be up to Notting Hill. Used to date a girl that lived near there, and unless it's changed, it's not segregated.

Reactions: Pgd
OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Ended up doing Streatham as traffic into West London was particularly bad.

Route was fine, bar the odd Garmin hiccup of erroneous turning instructions.

Actually found the worst road users were moped riders and sadly other cyclists. And not the deliveroo riders, I mean the aero bikes without lights, weaving in and out. Very much a selfish attitude vs a club ride where vocal signals are commonplace.

Will probably do this again semi-frequently, but need to plan it out as the faff of sorting the bike out either end is a bit time consuming.

Reactions: Pgd

vickster

Legendary Member
Ended up doing Streatham as traffic into West London was particularly bad.

Route was fine, bar the odd Garmin hiccup of erroneous turning instructions.

Actually found the worst road users were moped riders and sadly other cyclists. And not the deliveroo riders, I mean the aero bikes without lights, weaving in and out. Very much a selfish attitude vs a club ride where vocal signals are commonplace.

Will probably do this again semi-frequently, but need to plan it out as the faff of sorting the bike out either end is a bit time consuming.

Brompton ;)

And yes, the commuting club cyclists are mostly idiots. You won’t get any warnings from any CS commuters however. The e-scooterists are annoying too

Top Bottom