Cheap commuting rucksack mixed modal commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have a look at some of the Decathlon offerings - they have a bag for anything. I commuted with one of their 'airflow' type rucksacks for years. Only downside was you did need to pull out the waterproof cover if it rained.

Alex321

Veteran
Can you still get Eurohike rucksacks, an own name brand used by Millets, now gone.

Why does it have to take up the seat next to you though?

Eurohike are now owned by Go outdoors - and I was going to suggest one of those. I use one for my own commuting

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Has anyone fitted standard panniers on a brompton? It strikes me as problematic for a few reasons.

Small wheel means panniers are likely too tall hang off the rack and too wide to avoid the heel when pedalling. Then there's the rectangular cross section of the rack that is less a carrying rack but a bike stand. Or the low weight capacity might actually be breeched because it's quite low.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've got many ortliebs from standard 20l up to 35l pluses. Not one is a comfortable carry imho. Plus not one fits my Brompton. And I've never found a way to use the Brompton as a trolley even if got a front block bag option. Besides too many stairs forn that hence I need a bag I can carry while carrying my Brompton. Rucksack is the best and only real option I reckon.

Has anyone fitted standard panniers on a brompton? It strikes me as problematic for a few reasons.

Small wheel means panniers are likely too tall hang off the rack and too wide to avoid the heel when pedalling. Then there's the rectangular cross section of the rack that is less a carrying rack but a bike stand. Or the low weight capacity might actually be breeched because it's quite low.
your user name is appropriate, get the front block a decent sized Brompton bag, you wont look back. It clips off in a instant so you can carry brommie in one hand and bag over your shoulder.

as yes panniers or anything on rear of a brompton doesnt work.

and " rucksack smucksack" if you have a alternative that fits the front brommie block.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
My screen name was thought up because i started on this forum to pass or waste my time on a short train journey when my wait at the station was likely longer than the journey itself. Not long enough for me to get into a book but forum threads can be read in short bursts. Wasting my time not others. However I do think your post is wasting my time though.

I've read enough threads on cycling forums and Brompton reddits to know there are no cheap Brompton front bags, certainly not big enough. It's possible to bodge something with a £35 rack and bag. With the bag it's still more expensive than say amazon sourced commuter rucksacks.

Then there's the issue with rucksacks. What issue? I've been using one for this commute for 2 1/2 years and it's worked very well for my commute. I live a minute from the station and 6 minutes sprint downhill from the destination station. Even 8 minutes back after work isn't a long enough time to need to take the bag off the back. It simply hasn't been an issue for me on my commute. I'm not riding half an hour, if I was I'd be on my 700c bike with my pannier and unlikely to be taking the train, I'd not be allowed on with such a bike at that time.

Third I'm asking about what suits my needs through actual use and experience. I'm asking if these cheaper amazon, multi compartment commuter bags are any good as a rucksack. If they're reasonable carry when walking I know they're good enough for me on my Brompton where I'm fairly upright on it. So if you know about the quality and usefulness of the compartments and pockets of these rucksacks I'm certainly interested. If you know a very good alternative rucksack at similar or only a little bit more cost then I am also interested. I know I can't use my panniers and I also know i can't afford a Brompton front block bag.

Of course you might disagree with me but if you can't accept that I know the method of carry for my needs then perhaps you don't have anything worth adding to this thread that will help me.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'd agree with the post above that suggests you have a look round Decathlon (if you've got one near you), Sports Direct or similar and check out what they have on display to see if there's anything that fits your need or to give you ideas for a cheapie of Amazon. A good multi-compartment backpack can carry a surprisingly large amount of bits.

The one I'm using seems to be the sort of thing you're after, but is no longer available (a Planet X hi-viz commuter backpack) which has 2 main sections - a main compartment with a decent load area and a padded laptop sleeve plus a smaller front compartment which will hold a big D-lock with space to spare and also has inner pockets for pens, a phone and other bits & pieces. There's also two open side pockets which could take a small bottle or similar. When it finally gives up the ghost I'll be looking for something similar. The main consideration will be can it hold a Warburtons Super Toastie loaf in the main comprtment without squashing it as it doubles up for shopping.

I don't get the animosity to backpacks - I commute for 45+ minutes with one and frequenly do 50k rides with one incorporating a bit of shopping. A quick towel down of the back & shoulders gets rid of any sweat when I get to work/home.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Decathlon have a real black hole in the northwest England, well certainly north of Bolton, west m of Leeds and southwest of Newcastle. Nearest is an hour plus away without traffic. Go outdoors is a more represented retailer up here. I guess we're not civilised enough for the French! :laugh:

Sports direct? Next town has one. Last time in it was absolute tat. I think they sell stuff that can't sell in all their other stores. Rejected by shops selling cheap tat it's that bad! Certainly I've never seen anything worth buying in that shop since Ashley took over field and trek then turned it into a shop to sell his awful modem karrimor rucksacks and turned the retailer into sports direct branch.

Sorry I'm not a snob just know you can get good and cheap so avoid cheap and crap when I see it. Even amazon sell good and cheap products. I was looking at matein brand commuting sack or amazon basic rucksack that's similar to that pocketed/compartment sacks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry I'm not a snob just know you can get good and cheap so avoid cheap and crap when I see it. Even amazon sell good and cheap products. I was looking at matein brand commuting sack or amazon basic rucksack that's similar to that pocketed/compartment sacks.
Good? Evil! Amazon often behave worse than Mike Ashley. At least Ashley bought the brands whose products he turned into lookalike trash. Amazon just look at who's selling well on their site, make an Amazon Basics cheap clone of it, according to Peak Design and others, then use self-preferencing to get their product ahead in the listings. NSFW explanation:

View: https://youtu.be/jXf04bhcjbg?t=1118

Gwylan

Veteran
Home Bargains or similar has a sack for £10. Well made, comfortable, passes cabin size, selection of pockets for stuff.
Completely anonymous.
Regular companion on trips where you need to travel light for several years

Screenshot_20230630-000925.png

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Can I suggest an alternative approach? In my experience not many rucksacks have compartments in the way you describe. Find a good rucksack with a main compartment, additional compartment and outer mesh pockets.

Buy a few "pencil case" style bags in which to pack the items you want to compartmentalise. One small bag for, say, phone, cables, hard drive then another for pens etc. and so on. Then all you have to do is reach in, pull out the appropriate bag and access whatever you need.

When I pack a suitcase I use 6-7 smaller "organiser" bags for similar items; socks in one, underwear another, toiletries and so on. It means one can easily find the one thing wanted without disturbing the rest of the packing.

Same principle as you seem to want to achieve.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I've tried that with various, brightly coloured dry bags, stuff sacks and plastic bags. Then I started to use a travel bag with removable daysack. That daysack has pockets, two compartments and internal pockets. I actually find it a very useful bag just not big b enough for work. Says it's 15l bit it's only10l I reckon.

In my experience built in organisation is better. If you look at the more expensive holdall type bags even they tend to have pockets for organisation. That's just my experience.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I doubt we'll agree over Mike Ashley vs amazon. Then again I used to go to the factory shop of karrimor back when it was a really good company. Long since gone downhill but when his company finally bought it that was the worst step the brand made. It b still had the odd good product, the x-lite range of alpine sacks were actually well designed.

Top Bottom