Mixed mode commuting - clothing and kit recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been train and Brompton commuting for nearly two years now. I'm changing jobs and now have to be more smart casual than jeans and tshirt/fleece. More money means I'm thinking of buying new clobber. Any recommendations?

I am on the train for 40 minutes. My ride is 1 minutes to the station, 5 minutes from the station and in reverse. Perhaps the 5 minutes one is a bit longer. I have been warned my destination is typically raining and often heavy outside of summer.

classic33

Leg End Member
Decent footwear would be a better idea.
One minute to the station.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Ah! One minute on bike plus 5 or so minutes by bike the other side. Five minutes or 15 to 20 minutes walking.

Where in going to, with the longer leg, I've been warned it gets wet. I was speaking to someone I know who works there and he says waterproofs top and bottom, are needed. He said he's got wet through in the 5 minutes walk across the carpark to his office once and he wears waterproofs and waterproof trousers.

Can't use brolly with a bike. Fortunately my brompton has good mudguards so waterproofs and goretex lined trail shoes are good but I'm also thinking of better options. My berghaus paclite hiking waterproofs were in longer leg but not quite long enough. OK with overshoes but I don't wear them commuting shorter distances they take so long to get on. Are there any longer leg hiking overtrousers that's good on bikes or longer leg cycling overtrousers that's good for hiking?

I'm also looking at good hiking and cycling waterproof jacket with hood. My paramo velez adventure light tends to stay wet when it's been raining heavily. I'm thinking a good membrane and I'm preferring a bit longer too. Short waterproofs are OK if full waterproofs are on but longer jackets are better when it's perhaps not full waterproofs weather.

Cotton is not so nice when you get wet.

Wool is good - not waterproof, but also not cold when you're wet.

If you want to ride your bike, a cape is pretty good in the rain. If not, a brolly and a raincoat.

Alex321

Veteran
I wouldn't be using the bike for such a short journey.

Walk to / from train and get a poncho. Wear normal attire for office.

For that amount of time on a bike, and the added faff, I'd walk. Bag and a brolly is all you need.

I don't understand this.

The OP would be quarter of an hour faster by using the bike. To me that is significant enough to be doing it every time.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I have a very similar commute, walking for me is not an option at all. I have a fixed finishing time for work and if I walked from there to the station there is a strong chance I would miss the train and have to wait an hour for the next one. So whilst I may only ride for 5 minutes, it's worth it everytime.

I just wear my normal work clothes and if it's forecast to be wet I have a set of Goretex overtrousers and Goretex walking jacket which tends to keep me dry enough. The problem I have is feet, with a small wheeled folder it doesn't seem to matter how big the mudguards are, the spray of off the wheels jets directly at your feet. I tend to wear a pair of sacrificial shoes on the few days that are like that and have fresh shoes and socks in my bag.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't understand this.

The OP would be quarter of an hour faster by using the bike. To me that is significant enough to be doing it every time.

15 minutes, come on. Faff carrying bike on train, faff getting it off, and faff locking up and faff thinking about change of clothes/wet weather.

OP's other option might be to only get the train part way, and cycle the rest. For 6 minutes on a bike

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah! One minute on bike plus 5 or so minutes by bike the other side. Five minutes or 15 to 20 minutes walking.

Where in going to, with the longer leg, I've been warned it gets wet. I was speaking to someone I know who works there and he says waterproofs top and bottom, are needed. He said he's got wet through in the 5 minutes walk across the carpark to his office once and he wears waterproofs and waterproof trousers.

Can't use brolly with a bike. Fortunately my brompton has good mudguards so waterproofs and goretex lined trail shoes are good but I'm also thinking of better options. My berghaus paclite hiking waterproofs were in longer leg but not quite long enough. OK with overshoes but I don't wear them commuting shorter distances they take so long to get on. Are there any longer leg hiking overtrousers that's good on bikes or longer leg cycling overtrousers that's good for hiking?

I'm also looking at good hiking and cycling waterproof jacket with hood. My paramo velez adventure light tends to stay wet when it's been raining heavily. I'm thinking a good membrane and I'm preferring a bit longer too. Short waterproofs are OK if full waterproofs are on but longer jackets are better when it's perhaps not full waterproofs weather.

Google specs of the trousers, they should give leg length.
decathlon do with built in overshoes https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/city-...ith-built-in-overshoes-100-black/_/R-p-169380
or higher spec https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s...oes-540-black/_/R-p-310818?mc=8588098&c=black
they also have ponchos and jackets
eg https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/unise...g-parka/_/R-p-337482?mc=8732246&c=green_khaki
plus other non cycling waterproofs

other options reviewed here https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/best-waterproof-cycling-trousers-and-tights-465728

what are short waterproofs?
rainlegs could be another option

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
OK so that's 15 minutes x 2 =30 minutes per day vs 5 x 2 = 10 minutes per day. 20 minutes difference each day. 20 minutes x 5 days equals 1 hour 40 minutes a week which is spent logged on and earning.

Not just earning but due to flexi hours, TOIL, etc 2.5 weeks I've built up hours to take Friday off for an early get away to holiday.

Whether it's overtime or TOIL those 20 minutes add up to more than just time walking vs biking.

As to faff. Brompton! No faff! Folds in seconds and tucks under desk. Waterproofs worn cycling or walking means sane faff. No locking bike up.

Then there's train times. My old place I had 6 minutes to get to work in the morning and at first 12 minutes back to the hill to the station. Then they changed the times and I have an impossible 2 minutes to get up there. So that leaves me run 50 minutes to get up the hill. Except the now 10 minutes earlier train occasionally leaves late enough to catch. With my new job there's flexi time based around core times. The trains work out quite well with getting a little bit more time out of the company. Whether that's TOIL or overtone doesn't matter, it's kind of all money.

Plus 5 minutes on the bike in the heavy rain is 10 minutes less than walking. That is a good thing in my book.

So I too tend not to understand how 6 minutes bit not 5 minutes is OK or some of the other things said about cycling in.

Top Bottom