Mixed mode commuting - clothing and kit recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Actually they can change. Flexitime. 37 hours a week but you can work more hours and get paid overtime or TOIL to get more holidays. If I'm on a 430pm train leaving work at 425pm is better than 415pm. If I'm on a train into work arriving at 7am walking gives me a start of 715am, cycling 705am.

As i explained, 1 hour 40 minutes in the bank every week. 38 hours 40 minutes instead of 37 hours. Half day Fridays means 2.5 months I get one extra day off. That's almost 5 extra days holiday. A little more time, say wfh day, could easily give me an extra week, off each year. Or the overtime. Of course I'm likely to get overtime or be needed to work extra time on top of normal hours.

Now does that matter? Not really but 15 minutes walk is a pain in the rain. Plodding along the roads, in the dark and rain of autumn and winter. Why wouldn't you prefer a bike and less time in the dark, rain and cold? I've got a Brompton that's made for train travel and town riding. Why wouldn't I use it?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Getting back to the point ignoring all the bollockbrains saying walk when OP want to use the brommie.....

I would say does it really rain that much? I commuted a heck of lot into London by bike and rarely got rained on, even on days where it was raining, those 12-15 mins when you actually riding...
OK Wales and Manchester might well be wetter, no idea where you work

Why not leave a pair of brogues and chino's in the office* so you have something dry to change into in the event that it does rain? go the whole hog and leave a clean shirt there too. Do the cycle bit in you gortex trainers anyway. Don't over think this, you aren't on the bike for that long anyway.

*other footwear / trousers are available

Alex321

Veteran
That’s nowt to do with walking to station though is it?

Manager: Now as we’ve heard you’re walking to the railway station.This of course means we need to change the hours you work this month.

Eh?

He isn't saying his managers can change his times at will.

He is saying he has flexitime, and can work extra to give himself TOIL or overtime. So buy arriving earlier & leaving later, he can work up extra time off.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Eh?

He isn't saying his managers can change his times at will.

He is saying he has flexitime, and can work extra to give himself TOIL or overtime. So buy arriving earlier & leaving later, he can work up extra time off.

But the bike makes no difference to that does it, in reality.

Alex321

Veteran
Getting back to the point ignoring all the bollockbrains saying walk when OP want to use the brommie.....

I would say does it really rain that much? I commuted a heck of lot into London by bike and rarely got rained on, even on days where it was raining, those 12-15 mins when you actually riding...
OK Wales and Manchester might well be wetter, no idea where you work

Why not leave a pair of brogues and chino's in the office* so you have something dry to change into in the event that it does rain? go the whole hog and leave a clean shirt there too. Do the cycle bit in you gortex trainers anyway. Don't over think this, you aren't on the bike for that long anyway.

*other footwear / trousers are available

Even in Wales, I doubt I get rained on as much as one ride in 10, maybe a little more between October and March, less in the other half of the year.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
So an extra 20 minutes a day (which is the time saving he will make by using the bike) makes no difference?

Why do you think that?

That is an extra day off every 5-6 weeks or so.

As pointed out, the saving won’t be as much in reality. He most likely spends an equal amount of time waiting for a train. Besides extra time exercising by walking will be good for health and fitness.

Top Bottom