A big thank you everyone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The big difference between modern rear mechs and those of yore is the float engineered into the top jockey wheel, originally put there to enable indexing to function it also stops the side plate of the chain riding on top of the sprocket (as do the shifting ramps on the sprockets)
It didn't happen very often but the Simplex on the back of my Carlton did it probably a dozen times. :eek:

midlife

Guru
I had a Benelux gear which seems similar. The spring made the default return to the big sprocket, rather than the small cog as with modern gears.

Same reverse action as some Suntour front mechs back in the 70's. Spirit rings a bell, very odd to use LOL

s-l225.jpg

Shaun

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Its a done job folks, the Gitane should arrive here Tuesday or Wednesday next week !
Im really looking forward to discovering all there is to know about the bike. Many thanks to everyone for all the advice today......but its not over yet, I will be pestering you all with questions when l start to examine the
"find".
Chris

U

User32269

Its a done job folks, the Gitane should arrive here Tuesday or Wednesday next week !
Im really looking forward to discovering all there is to know about the bike. Many thanks to everyone for all the advice today......but its not over yet, I will be pestering you all with questions when l start to examine the
"find".
Chris
Nice looking bike. Enjoy!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I understand what you are saying and l don't want to give the impression that l will be engaged in serious cycling activities. For me its more like going out on a nice day for a ride down memory lane if that doesn't sound too corny !
Congratulations on the purchase! I was torn between the two, slightly favouring the Mercier, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the Gitane.
For a ride down memory lane, you may want to consider entering the Anjou Velo Vintage event on 24 & 25 June 2017. Your bike will be well within the date cutoff of 1987, but as I understand the rules they're also quite happy to accept more recent machines so long as they look reasonably vintage and have downtube shifters and don't have clipless pedals. If they follow the same pattern as last year, there'll be routes of 30 km, 40 km, 60 km and 130 km, all in the beautiful lower Loire valley based on Saumur. Bookings haven't opened yet, but they fill up rapidly once started. Even if you don't enter (and surely anyone could complete the 30 km or 40 km routes!), there'll be plenty of other attractions.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Congratulations on the purchase! I was torn between the two, slightly favouring the Mercier, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the Gitane.
For a ride down memory lane, you may want to consider entering the Anjou Velo Vintage event on 24 & 25 June 2017. Your bike will be well within the date cutoff of 1987, but as I understand the rules they're also quite happy to accept more recent machines so long as they look reasonably vintage and have downtube shifters and don't have clipless pedals. If they follow the same pattern as last year, there'll be routes of 30 km, 40 km, 60 km and 130 km, all in the beautiful lower Loire valley based on Saumur. Bookings haven't opened yet, but they fill up rapidly once started. Even if you don't enter (and surely anyone could complete the 30 km or 40 km routes!), there'll be plenty of other attractions.
Thank you very much for the information on Anjou event....it sounds perfect ! I walk 10km twice a week so lm pretty sure l will be able to ride 30or40 km.
I have to say that l wish l could have bought the Mercier as well but mustn't be greedy !
Chris.

Nice bike:okay:.

Depending on where in S W France you are http://lapedalsdeclip.cat may be closer to you than Saumur. One thing they have in common is a food stop in a winery, retro rides can be serious, but they are usually convivial.

If you do head down to Spain I may see you there.:smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Nice bike:okay:.

Depending on where in S W France you are http://lapedalsdeclip.cat may be closer to you than Saumur. One thing they have in common is a food stop in a winery, retro rides can be serious, but they are usually convivial.

If you do head down to Spain I may see you there.:smile:
That looks like a lot of fun, l better start getting in some serious riding time! I live in the Lot/Dordogne region so its not so far to the Spanish border...of course there is the little matter of the Pyrenees between us :bicycle:

Top Bottom