A bike design from 1952: how relevant is it today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
A steel framed bike with mudguards, full lighting and frame pump - with an incredible standard of integration - weighing 24.8 pounds/11.2kg?

A truly great frame builder who also made their own chainsets, cantilever brakes (& rollers for straddle wires), down tube gear levers & entire front derailleurs, racks and handlebar stems.

A bike capable of setting personal best times & (as of 2014) holding the record for a renowned 300 km event.

A top 'gravel' bike nearly 70 years before anyone thought of such a thing.... 650b with wide tyres sound familiar.

Sought after by collectors, revered in North America and Japan, yet perhaps not recognised and acknowledged, to the same extent, elsewhere...

For many, including me, this design & manufacture - from one person - is on a different level, just brilliant. 😊

From Bicycle Quarterly, words & photos here: https://www.renehersecycles.com/the-650b-ancestor-rene-herse-randonneur/

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well I would happily own and ride one ^_^

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Thanks for the interest: special bikes - from the little I've learned, they rarely turn up for sale and then go for seriously eye watering prices. :blush:

Further views & an online inventory here:

From Classic Rendezvous: 'Rene Herse...and his uniquely individualistic approach, with the highest level of craftsmanship, has set this maker apart. His atelier created thoroughly thought out and designed bikes, especially touring models, which have made Herse possibly the most desirable bicycle of all.'

Sheldon Brown's take: 'René Herse: The pinnacle of French cycling, specializing in top-of-the-line custom and semi-custom touring bikes; extremely valuable.'

'This site is dedicated to Rene Herse bicycles. The idea is to establish an inventory of the Rene Herse bikes still
remaining and known of.'
http://www.pianosromantiques.com/projetRH.html

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Heine is a sometimes abrasive figure, fond of rubbing the RUSA establishment up the wrong way. But he's been influential in reestablishing the 650B tourer as a design. My Hallett is derived from that style of bike, though it didn't cost that amount.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Hallett makes bikes just as good as RH. If not better. Silly prices. Jan Heine is cashing in on the connection, having bought the name. But the randonneur is certainly still very relevant.

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Jan Heine's 7 part written series 'A Journey Of Discovery' was, for me, full of great learning as well as being fascinating & enjoyable.

I first read it around 6 years ago - it was a memorable breath of fresh air in the dreary world of largely generic bike frames & the forever upgrade/ obsolete (planned obsolescence) vicious circle of component replacement. Brilliant to read that 5 speed sprockets and down tube levers were the preference for gearing. 😊

Bicycle Quarterly & JH have been credibly influential in the world of cycling - while enduring criticism & skepticism - and I've appreciated the chance to learn more of these stunningly designed performance bikes that were being made (in France) many years ago.

It also has left me wondering for years if my 531 frame (currently with 27" wheels & centre pulls) will allow a 650b conversion. :smile:
Here is Grant Peterson's useful article for further info: https://www.rivbike.com/pages/converting-700c-to-650b

Last edited:
Top Bottom