A bike for London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone,

Would love to hear some opinions please-would really help me out. Please excuse the longer post.

Cycling background: had a Specialized Sirus hybrid between ages of 16-19. Had lend of a lovely 90s Peugeot for a few years (I’m 24 now) after this (picture attached just because I liked the style).
7b72184f-fa01-442a-aa6f-2055f60ff18c-jpeg.687291.jpg

This was a great introduction to a road bike, though I found it hard on some of the hills around West Yorkshire where I was. I didn’t feel like I got a complete sense of road cycling as I struggled to do any proper rides really (quite heavy, slightly too aggressive geometry, too hard climbing caused the rear well to pop out a lot). I found it hard to build my fitness up on this bike.

Situation:
I’m back in London now and basically just want to go most places by bike. I want the ultimate freedom a bike brings. My interest in proper road cycling has waned from the relatively low level it was at, but my desire to get back on two wheels on the road has only been increasing.

I’m in Chiswick and am oriented towards town (I.e. east) for various reasons - meetings, events, urban exploration. As a place to go for a more traditional ride that doesn’t take long on main roads to get to, I can only think of Richmond Park. I personally see it as great for either fast training session on a road bike or a walk. I no longer vibe with anything in between. I actually prefer cycling in town since the pandemic - I find the drivers around West/South West London to be much worse than in town.

Needs:
  • Lightweight-I’m 5’6/7 60kg and lacking in upper body strength. I really don’t like not being able to manoeuvre my bike easily.
  • £450-600 really.
  • Can lock it up outside most places.
  • Nimble.
  • Regular pedals or clips - don’t want to have to change outfit/shoes.

Wants:
  • Less things to go wrong on the bike - in the hope that this means less barriers to actually getting out on it.
  • Comfortable bars - drops or bullhorns.
  • I’d be lying if I said that looks weren’t important - a classic style would be nice.

What I’ve been looking at:
So I’ve been looking at single speeds, road bikes and hybrids. In terms of a new road bike, a Specialized Allez would really be the lowest spec I would be wanting (I think in terms of value?), though this is outside of my budget. I’d be looking more at second hand road bikes through a shop or ex-display to be honest, as I’d like more advice about sizing. I’ve also been looking at Quellas. Had a test ride on the Varsity which felt pretty good, but even better when the helpful guys at Bikesoup Westfield suggested changing the angle of the bullhorns to be less aggressive. Found this to be a comfortable, light, nimble ride. The appeal of the single speed is rather strong. I tried a Giant FastRoad SL2 today, but just found it to be a bit sluggish to be honest. It seemed like a good bike, but I just didn’t really gel with the riding style-too upright.

I am still slightly concerned I’ll regret choosing a single speed. If I would be ok for Ladbroke Grove, Holland Park Av., Percy Circus I’ll be happy.

What bikes do you think I should be looking at?

Many thanks

tinywheels

Über Member
there's only one bike for London old chap!
they do exist in your price range.
next question plz

vickster

Legendary Member
Second hand Genesis Equilibrium in small? No need to only buy SH through a shop, a decent seller would be happy for you to sit on a bike for size at the very least, and should allow a test ride :smile: If you look after a bike, there really aren’t that many things to go wrong :smile:

Not sure I’d want a single speed to ride around Richmond Park either but then I’m not 24 and 60kg :laugh:
Genesis have single speed Flyer. Or for a London Icon, look for a used Condor Pista SS
Eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304908745807?hash=item46fdfa3c4f:g:tongue:ewAAOSwp4RkM8Jq&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwOQwyNJmleUy/E5I82K32MdT8xUXk2blciOPs80M3rp/HGybL2he3QHLVvQEN+SCZ5otjDyy4SHydjl+b1P4KhWP/HE/EN1HTT7J2QDHkziYAKfHOYVI0oA+G4Mic+DNTGsPZY/ghmouq7d0+0zwBhtdE8gGx+pF4JNFy+h/HxETIay7+UGifdRCmpdx6HiOg5toPdSX+gO15UZwkAdklUAeJpWcB8Mw7AWU6Z8LF69iwtAYNFvwwsLyNiWwN1rZfw==|tkp:Bk9SR57ovcT5YQ

Locking up any bike in London is unfortunately a risk but can be mitigated by using two high quality locks of different types but they’ll add weight. Consider a pannier rack and rack bag to carry (big locks can be awkward on small frames). Or as the poster above suggests, there’s always Brompton which reduces that risk further but may not be your cup of tea

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

westlondon24

Second hand Genesis Equilibrium in small? No need to only buy SH through a shop, a decent seller would be happy for you to sit on a bike for size at the very least, and should allow a test ride :smile: If you look after a bike, there really aren’t that many things to go wrong :smile:

Not sure I’d want a single speed to ride around Richmond Park either but then I’m not 24 and 60kg :laugh:

Locking up any bike in London is unfortunately a risk but can be mitigated by using two high quality locks but they’ll add weight. Consider a pannier rack and rack bag to carry (big locks can be awkward on small frames). Or as the poster above suggests, there’s always Brompton which reduces that risk further but may not be your cup of tea

I’ll have a search for some equilibriums, thanks.
That’s true.

Sharky

Guru
If you are looking for a fixed/SS bike, try searching for 2nd hand Giant Bowery 72. I've had one since about 2010 and is one of my favourite rides.

I've upgraded a few parts over the years, but it's heart is still the same.

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely it's a second hand Brompton.

Budget even £600 is a bit skimpy but might get one with fewer gears. Just make sure it’s not stolen!
Also he’s looking for fast training rides, if that’s what the bit about vibing means :wacko:
A Brompton isn’t really the right tool for that

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Budget even £600 is a bit skimpy but might get one with fewer gears. Just make sure it’s not stolen!
Also he’s looking for fast training rides, if that’s what the bit about vibing means :wacko:

Good point. Totally missed the vibe.

I ALWAYS miss the vibe.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Best bang for bucks bikes:

Evans Pinnacle, lots of satisfied customers on here:
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/pinnacle/laterite-2-road-bike-934351#colcode=93435140

Decathlon RC 120:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-bike-triban-rc-120-disc-brake/_/R-p-308064?mc=8554265

Both look fairly uninspiring but solid VfM. Triban gives a choice of colour though. You get discs with the Triban which arguably give better all weather stopping. Decent equipment on both. Budget bikes usually have low end tyres making punctures more likely, something that’s important in London, both these have decent tyres.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Best bang for bucks bikes:

Evans Pinnacle, lots of satisfied customers on here:
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/pinnacle/laterite-2-road-bike-934351#colcode=93435140

Decathlon RC 120:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-bike-triban-rc-120-disc-brake/_/R-p-308064?mc=8554265

Both look fairly uninspiring but solid VfM. Triban gives a choice of colour though. You get discs with the Triban which arguably give better all weather stopping. Decent equipment on both.

They’re not very hipster vibey retro cool though
:unsure:

OP
OP
W

westlondon24

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I’m not looking to do fast rides.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
With regard to SS I’d suggest you need to spend while on one in London before deciding if it’s for you. The Quella Varsity is IMO way overpriced at five hundred and forty quid and comes with poor tyres.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom