A Bird A Mile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm assuming we are talking about roadkill here? Your garden must be a bloodbath!

It might be better if you count all roadkill because then you can add badgers, foxes, moles, voles, frogs, fluffy rabbits, etc to the list and that will tick off a few more miles.

Happy to help :okay:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Nah - sitting indoors eating is not legal. You must be sitting in the saddle with feet off the ground for a "tick" to count.

BTW - Thrush - Song or Mistle?
Woodepecker - LS, GS or Green?
Crow - C or H?

See - you can up your count that way too ^_^

Have fun @User9609 :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think this lot are multi-tasking.. Counting bird species whilst riding a bike to work. Difficult enough, but they didn't factor in the lady humans...

Can't be doing any of that.. nearest tree/car ornament might be me.:evil:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thought I would give this a go today when doing the school run. 6.4 miles so here goes

Geese, ducks, cute little duckies, pigeons...... Now I'm stuck. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention, although I did get to hammer down some steps in the memorial gardens, and a tricksy little tight hairpin with steps on as I dropped into the dingle at the park and a nice technical and slightly slippy climb next to the steps up the dam at Knott Hill res. Managed this without a foot down :okay:, also a bit of twisty singletrack alongside the stream at Springs. A lovely commute, slightly extended return leg on account of the excellent weather. Didn't see any Tits or Shags :rolleyes:

Can't wait for the return run this evening :becool:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 3692181, member: 9609"]I have never played this game before, but the idea was never to exceed birds with miles, so I had to get some in the bag before setting off - I did blow the tyres up before starting counting though, honest. ^_^

The Thrush was a song - never seen a lessr spotted and Green are seldom seen here, so I tend to just to write down Woodpecker - don't get Hooded Crows round here, just big black ones, very smart at this time of the year, quite a magnificent bird even though evryone seems to hate them.[/QUOTE]
Fair enough. The Hoodies aren't all that far away from you tho'. They tend to be coastal. West Coast and northward. Not sure about the east coast at Berwick tho'....

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Well on my five mile commute this morning I saw:

Blackbird
Starling
Swallow
Dunnock
Rook
Jackdaw
House sparrow
Greenfinch
Woodpigeon

I also heard Yellowhammer but didn't see them.
There were a few fleeting glimpses too - but too quick to id them.

The Greenfinches were unusual. I don't often see them.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Great thread. Here's a few from my 13 miler around the fen hereabouts yesterday. Was very lucky to see the cuckoo as I'd heard a couple quite far away then one just popped up in a nearby poplar tree then flew off.

Crow
Rook
Jackdaw
Pheasant
Red legged partridge
Swift
Swallow
House Martin
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Reed bunting
Yellowhammer
Whitethroat
Grey heron
Lapwing
Coot
Gadwall
Canada goose
Little egret
Little grebe
Marsh harrier
Kestrel
Cuckoo
Reed warbler
Black headed gull

Heard but not seen
Blackcap
Sedge warbler
Meadow pipits

image.jpg

The Canada geese and three chicks

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
@PaulB and @Bromptonaut and I spotted a Shag while cycling on The Coppice above Accrington. It was in full swing and the bird even crudely offered us the same, once she had finished, er, being laid.

Horrible, it was. I'm reminded of the ghastly sight every time Mrs GTi kneads uncooked pastry.
Ah, wistful reminiscences of romance on the moors!

Top Bottom