A bit of advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevo1961

Regular
Hi Guys,
I'm new to all this riding malarkey, spent years riding around town on an old Barracouda mountain bike, but recently bought a Giant Defy 4 triple. This is probably a very stupid question! When the bike arrived enclosed in the pack containing the manuals etc there was a small plastic bag that contained 4 rubber pads, a couple of screws and a sheet of clear stickers. What are these for? (Told you it was a daft question). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Steve.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The 4 pads are brake pads, the 2 screws (tiny ones?) are for when you change the pads in the brake cartridges. The clear stickers are to protect the bikes paintwork. They go where the bikes cables rub against the frame.

Well I'm guessing all that anyway.

mangid

Guru
Hi Guys,
I'm new to all this riding malarkey, spent years riding around town on an old Barracouda mountain bike, but recently bought a Giant Defy 4 triple. This is probably a very stupid question! When the bike arrived enclosed in the pack containing the manuals etc there was a small plastic bag that contained 4 rubber pads, a couple of screws and a sheet of clear stickers. What are these for? (Told you it was a daft question). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Steve.

The clear plastic stickers go on the frame, head tube, to stop the brake/derailleur cables from wearing the paint away. They're sacrificial, and will wear themselves, so keep an eye on them if you care aout the paint job. I use electricians tape and a bit of Sugru, as the rattle on my carbon was deafening :-). No ideas on the other bits

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've stuck the protective strips in the various points of cable contact but can't see where the rubber pads go. The bike was delivered complete so I figure they're extras.

take a pic of the pads. Upload to a pic holding site, (ie flickr etc, as you do not have enough posts to post pics on the forum) and let us have a look.

Peteaud

Veteran
my trek MTB came with some bits that no one, even the shop could work out what they are for.

I never fitted them.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not sure, but they might be shims to adjust the reach of the brake levers - bringing them in a little bit (the thinner pads) or rather more (the thicker ones).
I can't see any threads on the little screw things - are they hollow up the middle and smooth on the outside? They might be cable caps - they go on the end of the cables and get crimped on.

EDIT - Bollox, too slow!!

Top Bottom