A bit of advice, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

obelix1664

I'll try to keep this short. The company that I work for have just joined the Cycle to Work scheme with the following parameters for those employees wishing to participate, maximum £1000 spend on bike and can only purchase from Halfords.:sad:

Now this is where I need advice. I am just getting into road riding and am considering joining the scheme, with the intention of buying a Boardman Team @ 999.00 (currently), but while I have been doing my research I have stumbled across various other bike makers/sellers that are also selling alternative makes/models for the same price but with interest free finance over the same period as the cycle to work scheme (12 months). Something that particularly caught my eye are the bikes from Ribble, the Gran Fondo and Sportive Bianco to name a couple.

So given the choice which would be the better option? I am aware that by joining the C2W scheme that I would also make a saving on my income tax and NI contributions, but by opting to get a road bike outside of the scheme would I ultimately be getting a better quality bike, which would in turn mean better value for my money.:wahhey:

vickster

Legendary Member
Just to let you know, there are a few other bike shops around London that take (or at least did take a couple of years ago) Halfords vouchers - On Your Bike at London Bridge, Pearsons in Sutton/Sheen for example :smile:

The Boardman bikes are extremely good value for money, don't assume that because it's Halfords, it's a less good bike. Post the specs of the Ribbles for people to compare

Finance wise, figure out how much you would pay overall on C2W (including the payment at the end, depends on your salary, scheme terms, ask HR) versus the £1000 with the finance option (of course if buying independently, you are not beholden to a set figure ;) :evil: )

Either way, if using finance, make sure the bike is properly insured or you'll find yourself paying for something you no longer have if stolen!

OP
OP
obelix1664

obelix1664

Just to let you know, there are a few other bike shops around London that take (or at least did take a couple of years ago) Halfords vouchers - On Your Bike at London Bridge, Pearsons in Sutton/Sheen for example

That's a good bit of advise that I was unaware of, thankyou. :thumbsup:

I currently own a Boardman hybrid, so I am not put off by the build quality, so far (he says touching wood) I haven't had any problems with it. But on doing my research saw that the newer Boardmans seem to be suffering with BB failure or even seizure. I will have a conversation tomorrow with our HR dept. to try and ascertain actual cost of the C2W.

I will put the specs up of the Ribble Gran Fondo and Bianco Sportive so people can advise on whether I am comparing apples and oranges or if there are very close similarities.

Thanks again.

vickster

Legendary Member
On Your Bike sell Cannondale - the CAAD / Synapse models have excellent frames - worth a look (if they do take the vouchers, assuming your HR people don't settle up with Halfords directly). You are presumably aware that Halfords can sort a lot of other brands too beyond what they have in store (list on their C2W site from memory)

Just don't leave your hybrid locked up outside OYB, unless protected with a solid D Lock, a Rottweiler and couple of Mossad agents (says she speaking from bitter experience :angry: )

Devonshiredave

If you have to go through Halfords, they do supply other bikes like the Tifosi CK7 in either Shimano Sora or Campag Veloce flavours for less than a grand. They do have pretty good write ups.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
But on doing my research saw that the newer Boardmans seem to be suffering with BB failure or even seizure. .

That used to be the case with last years models BB30 (as happened to me) but them problem bearings have now been worked out of the system. You can't really go wrong with a Boardman bike, good spec and value for money. :thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Halfords can get non halfords bikes like trek,spesh and cannondales on C2W ,they just don't tell you unless you phone them up and ask although you will pat full rrp .
I was in a similar situation last year and went for the boardman, best bang for the buck if you cant get a good deal on zero % interest via another retailer or afford to buy a bike outright in a sale.

Get In The Van

Halfords can get you anything from these makes, although as Cyberknight says, you will pay full whack on them, have fun choosing

Kona
GT
Cannondale
Cube
Willier
Scott
Ridgeback
Genesis
Orbea
Claud Butler
Mongoose
Orange
Felt
Specialized
Giant
Charge
Whyte
Marin
Trek
Montague
Concept
Merida
Focus
Saracen
Moda
Dahon
Raleigh

OP
OP
obelix1664

obelix1664

Thanks again to everyone for the advice below is the spec of the Ribble that has caught my eye, I know that it's a little over the price of the Boardman but does come with a carbon frame and campag groupset. There an interest free option, so that;s why it featured for consideration.

I did speak my HR dept. today and although the scheme has been running within our company for a couple of years, she seemed very vague with her answers but she is coming back with answers to my particular questions, allegedly.

Just don't leave your hybrid locked up outside OYB, unless protected with a solid D Lock, a Rottweiler and couple of Mossad agents (says she speaking from bitter experience)
You wouldn't believe the makes and models, from cheap to very expensive bikes that are chained up in the company car park, that anyone and yes I do mean anyone (not just employees) has access to..:eek: So yes, I do have 2 good D locks, heavy duty cable, oh and an Akita...better than a Rottweiler any day.... :smile:

Special Edition Summary
Frame Ribble 2012 Gran Fondo Carbon Road Frame
Groupset Campagnolo 2013 Veloce Black 10 Spd Double Groupset
Show Groupset Data
Wheels Rodi Airline 4 Clinchers Wheels Pair Black 9/10/11 Camp
Handlebars Deda RHM 01 Bars Black 44cm
Handlebar Stem Deda Zero 1 Stem Black 100mm
Saddle CSN Superleggera K6 Saddle Black
Seatpillar CSN Superleggera Alloy Seatpillar Black 31.6 400mm
Tyres Prorace Nitro Rigid Tyre Black/Black 700x23mm
Handlebar Tape Deda Cork Ribbon Handlebar Tape Black
Price excluding Pedals: £1,021.99