A bit of recumbent history

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blimey - not much has changed! My bent looks a lot like this!

....great example of 'nothing new under the sun'. The so called movers and shakers in the bike industry really struggle to come up with anything truly groundbreaking, just something done decades ago, rehashed, rebadged and mighty expensive. I mean, 80 years on - that looks like it was made yesterday........:okay:

This may seem ungrateful and weird

When I started riding recumbents 25 years ago there was a limited number of designs and they were all evolving

The manufacturers learned from mistakes and we would get a replacement frame with modifications

My eary Linear had a rear frame they would bend to one side

Iowa-frame-bent-to-right-of-center.jpg

Bending back into place caused stress fractures. This was fixed with a reinforced arch

My original 1994 Trice had several frame failures and the one that I had 10 years later bore no resemblance to the original

In some ways the polished and refined designs of modern machines are much better, but I do (Bizarrely) miss the feeling of being a "pioneer" and contributing to the design development

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That short wheelbase combined with a fairly upright riding position might make for an interesting ride no?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I wonder if the wheelbase is so short to prevent/ much reduce heel-strike, something we just get used to these days ... :unsure:

Top Bottom