(a bit OT) security

Almax or other chain for indoor bike storage?

• Go for the almax and spend more on better ground anchor

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Go for the almax and keep oxford ground anchor

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Get a cheaper chain and keep oxford ground anchor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

basically, two questions:
1) I remember ages ago on C+ somebody posted a link to a video on youtube that showed some blokes trying to cut through bike chains with various tools, boltcroppers, angle grinders, etc. - I think they managed to get through them all within about 5 minutes (albeit after replacing many of the tools/blades) apart from one which either took ages or they couldn't do it - does anybody remember what that was or have the video?

2) is welding generally fairly secure? I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be, but just wondering if there's something I've completely overlooked...what i'm considering doing is having a ground anchor welded into the floor of my van. Does anybody know anything about welding, and whether it's likely to be possible / expensive ? If so, is the fact that the floor is painted white like the sides going to be a problem to a professional welder?

xroads

welding is only as strong as the weakest link. Which in this case may be the thickness of the floor panel, which could easily be cut with a grinder or powered hack saw. All depends how determined the thief is.
Welding to painted steel surface is no problem, as it can be grinded away before welding.

mosschops2

re 2) yes - fairly secure. Probably better than a bolt, in that you'd effectively have to cut the metal away around the ring that you secured in the floor. At that stage, a burgular would be better off cutting through the chain / bike lock that you use. RE paint - not a problem as he/she would most likely remove it before welding. The area around the weld is likely to have all the paint burnt off (top and bottom of the sheet mind), so will need repainting to a) look good inside and ;) help to prevent corrosion on the underside.

Very possible, and not expensive really. Best bet is find a friendly (car) body shop (ie small, independent, local) to do it for you.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

hmmm... interesting. i've just had a chat on the phone with a welder who reckons it would be better to use bolts with a thickish plate underneath and above due to the thinness of the metal, but it might involve taking lots of stuff off so as to be able to get to the underneath, as i don't want to drill through the petrol tank or the exhaust or something! I guess i'll have to have a look at the underside to see how feasible that's likely to be, but i just thought welding it on would be easier.

Shaun

Founder
re 1) I think you saw it in GONE IN 60 SECONDS: The Bike Crime Wave aired on ITV.

Gone in 60 seconds trailers:

Sorry, but can't find a video link to the full program ;)

rob_mcp

You can get all sorts of secure bolt systems- nuts where the hex bit shears off when torqued up etc. hammering ball bearings into alan key bolts, and i'd have thought this safer (and easier) than welding - You may not want to drill into the petrol tank but do you want to weld above it either!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

this is true, I think i'm going to go for bolts, not welds. I've rung up a garage that have serviced my van before so know it quite well, and they're very amenable to me bringing it down with the anchor (and the thule 592 rack) to see how it could be done. So what i'm going to do is take it down and have a chat with them to see how they propose to do it. The guy was talking about high-tensile steel bolts aswell which sounded good.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Mr Phoebus said:
I think it's Captain Cropper? YouTube has removed some vids to stop any legal action.

aha! I think this was the one

i'm going to have a watch of it when i get home when i can put the sound on

Shaun

Founder
bonj said:
aha! I think this was the one

i'm going to have a watch of it when i get home when i can put the sound on

Bloody scary viewing really, especially in light of the cost of most of those chains!!

Did you watch the ones about picking D-Locks? Even scarier!! ;)

Top Bottom