A *bloody* interruption to the commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Cycling home from work early this afternoon through Sandbach approaching this crossing from the bypass r'bout, and I blow my nose as you do when cycling along. I must add that I am suffering from a cold and one of those painful sinus headaches:thumbsdown::tired:. I feel a drip.. drip... drip.. running down from my nose and instantly realise that I have set off a nosebleed, my first in months. These are annoying at the best of times but terrible when you're on your own with no easy access to tissues to stem the torrent that began streaming from my right nostril. I had to stop on the pavement by side of the road at the crossing to sort it all out and stand by holding my nose and tilting my head up.

At this point it has dripped onto my coat, my water bottle and my mitts, as well as all over the skin between the nose and mouth. I must've looked in a sorry state, which may have been that the first passers by ( an lovely old couple) thought I had fallen off whilst riding :blush: I had to explain that it was simply a nosebleed set of my a cold and they very kindly gave me a pack of tissues to help clean the mess up. A few more people walking by stopped over the next few minutes wondering what was up and again I had to explain that it was just a nosebleed.

This eventually culminated in a police car stopping on the opposite side of the road at the crossing and asking what was up and... You get the idea anyway.

A bit of a knock to my pride but feel nice having been shown that some people do care and stop to help if they can, which in this case helped a lot to get myself looking somewhat presentable before continuing home and not looking like a someone who's been in a fight and lost :B) ^_^

In the end all that stopped had a friendly chat and we went our separate ways. BTW I still have a spot of blood on the Cateye computer which I haven't washed off yet :laugh:

Other things that happened on my commute today if your interested:

* Close overtake by a car
* Spotted a police car guarding the site of an RTA on my commute route, a smashed telegraph pole and skid marks
* A council bin lorry overtake approaching a blind bend into oncoming traffic forcing a Micra to come to a complete halt. I would've reported it if I could remember the reg (Terrible short-term memory :blush:)

*Note to self, buy a helmet cam ASAP!!!*

Bigsharn

Veteran
Moral of that story: Take tissues.

Also: I don't know how long you've done it, but you're not meant to tilt your head back anymore apparently. Tbh if it works for you then carry on, I get them regularly and find it best to just hold the nostril closed and let it clot :tongue:

sabian92

Über Member
Another tip - hold your head down, not up.

Trust me, as a guy who gets a few nosebleeds a week, it stops far faster. Don't ask me why, but pinch the end of the nostril that's bleeding and head down. It works.

Graham1426

Has a first aider at work the poster above is correct in stating that it's best to have your head tilting forward/down, and plug the offending nostril with a tissue or the like.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't be fun when on your bike as your HR and blood pressure will be up - AKA Esso fuel pump !

Remember when I got hit by a rock kicked up from a car, smacked the nose, blood everywhere. Thought about riding the remaining 17 out of 19 miles home (was a commute), and thought I'd better stop as the blood was pumping out. Guy doing his garden... "me, erm can you call an ambulance".

mr Mag00

rising member
DO NOT plug anything in the nose your first aider should be hung for that advice! as when you remove the plug you remove the clot and hey ho away we go all again. the advice is pinch the fleshy part of the nose and lean forward checking every few minutes to see if it has stopped avoid blowing or sniffing and poking anything up the nostril.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have Never had a nose bleed. My MIL has had, and it's been hospital jobs even 25 years ago. Just gone in with one yesterday aged mid 70's.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I once had a really bad one near a school that my friend's children go to at school pick up time. I had run out of tissues and knew that as her son also suffered from nose bleeds that she would be carrying some. It was embarrassing lurking at the school gates with a nose bleed but I couldn't get it to stop. I ended up going back to her house and a further half an hour before I could get it to stop. I was grateful that I had her to call on that day as I don't know where I would have gone otherwise.

Top Bottom