A Boy a Girl and a Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would rather watch on tv versus 14" laptop.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would rather watch on tv versus 14" laptop.
Fair enough - I've got a smart TV with YT on it (and I can cast video to my TV from my phone, tablet or tablet anyway).

It is a very old film so the picture quality is a bit naff, but it was a nice nostalgic look back.

It has just occurred to me that the 'Wakeford cycling club' featured in the film got its name from nearby Wake-field and Brad-ford!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I didn't when I watched it. How far into the film was(were) his appearance(s)?
See my previous post #4. ;)
ETA - look at the 1.22.08 point in the film where the one team mate gets cramp. Savile overtakes him on his right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Tempted by the youtube version but if around will stick it out for Talking Pictures with a bag of nuts.

That channel is a wonder.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'll have a look for this at the weekend

i watched a few scenes on YT,and i am certain they used the same cafe as in Last Of the Summer Wine.

Sid's Cafe?
http://www.sidscafe.com/html/history.html

"The cafe used to be a fish & chip shop and was being used as a paint store for the ironmongers next door when the BBC spotted it in 1973. When fans of the series began coming to Holmfirth expecting to find a genuine cafe the owner decided to turn it in to one!"

Interesting fact: in the short lived prequel series "First of the Summer Wine", the cafe was changed to a chip shop (HygenicHyFisheries) reflecting it's earlier role

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I never check the listing for that one. I will take a look and see what it has to offer.
It's very good.
Of course a lot of filler but I would recommend looking all of the film titles up on imdb - there are some real hidden/forgotten gems on there.

if you find their web page you can subscribe to be sent pdfs of their monthly schedule and "premieres".

If you google the guardian web page on it you will probably find an article with lots of appreciative comments on it. I discovered it by chance some time ago after it popped up on the Freeview listings.

edit.

here you are.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...talgia-doesnt-come-much-more-joyous-than-this

discovered it well before the guardian journo, but top marks to her for plugging its joys.

Some of its films I haven't seen for donkey's years.

That article mentions "the swimmer" which I saw on telly in my teens. Might appreciate it more now.

Also showed "melody" over christmas and before.

Am hoping they will get round to showing more 70s stuff.

Caution - you may find that you have an uncontrollable urge to buy a new mattress.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Not the first time i've watched it and I think it is one of my favourite films. It manages to cover a large number of themes of the post war days.
- a love story
- the housing shortage
- class differences
- gambling
- dessertion
- the boom in cycling
- theft
- also pretty realistic cycling scenes, apart from those done on static bikes.

Currently watching on youtube and will record as well on sunday.

Top Bottom