A buyer rides off on my motorbike with no insurance ( i think not )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all.
I've been trying to sell my old 100cc scooter as i don't really use it much nowadays..It's been sitting under its cover now for a good year ,so i thought it's time for it to go.
It's got no tax or mot but is still in good condition.
Anyway, i managed to get a sale for it and the prospective buyer came round tonight to pick it up. He lives around 20 miles from me and when i asked him how he was going to get it back home he turned round and said he was going to ride it back..Errrr i said no your not. Its not road worthy and you haven't got any insurance. For arguments sake if he did ride home would i of ended up getting into trouble with the law for letting him go on his way. Obviously i would of had the vehicle registration document filled out with his name on it but do i honestly want the police knocking on my door questioning me why bike has been spotted on an ANPR camera. Further more I would feel irresponsible letting him take it that's not got a current mot .He,s now reluctantly coming back on Friday morning to pick it up in a borrowed van. Would you of done the same as me or would you of just taken his money and let him go on his merry way. Either way I've got a gut feeling he's going to ride this bike before he gets it sorted out legally.

Drago

Legendary Member
Potentially you could be in trouble for "use, cause or permit" offences, so you did the right thing. Lots of "ifs", but potentially.

When he comes back Friday in the van you can guarantee he won't be insured on that either.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers Drago. I feel better for refusing to let him take it but where do you draw the line with this. I mean you sell a vehicle and it's used illegal a couple hours after the sale. You just want the hassle of it to be honest and small scooters are a prime candidate for this as youngsters tend to be attracted to them.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, its right. If you knowingly "use, cause or permit" someone to commit a document or moving traffic offence you can be fingered. Rare, but happens.

Typical scenario, son or boyfriend takes a lady's car without permission. They're not licenced and insured. Lady doesn't want son or boyfriend prosecuted, so refuses to support a prosecution and says she gave permission for them to use the car. Police then tell Lady "OK, you knew he had no licence or insurance and still lent him the car, so we'll prosecute you instead for use, cause or permit". 99 out of 100 times the cars owner suddenly decides they will support a prosecution.

Once they're out sight you can legitimately claim no knowledge of the act, or any ability to influence their actions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom