A car parking odessy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Imagine a two way, single lane each way main road. You are travelling in your car east bound, slowly, because you are looking for a parking space.

You happen across such a parking space and you think "wow I'm lucky! I found a space in such a convenient location" but then you notice there is a driver in another car in the west-bound lane, stopped, and who already has his right indicator on and is waiting to park in the space you just found. But the other guy could not park immediately because no car gave him room to pull up next to the parking space to perform a reverse parallel parking. So he carried on waiting and holding up lots of traffic on his side. But he doesn't care about them.

What do you do? Do you let the other driver park in the space? Or do you go ahead and park there?

Suppose you start parking there and the other driver gets really annoyed and starts honking his horn and making a real scene. What then?

T4tomo

Guru
Is there a 5 year old on a bike approaching from the other direction followed by his dad?

Imagine a two way, single lane each way main road. You are travelling in your car east bound, slowly, because you are looking for a parking space.

You happen across such a parking space and you think "wow I'm lucky! I found a space in such a convenient location" but then you notice there is a driver in another car in the west-bound lane, stopped, and who already has his right indicator on and is waiting to park in the space you just found. But the other guy could not park immediately because no car gave him room to pull up next to the parking space to perform a reverse parallel parking. So he carried on waiting and holding up lots of traffic on his side. But he doesn't care about them.

What do you do? Do you let the other driver park in the space? Or do you go ahead and park there?

Suppose you start parking there and the other driver gets really annoyed and starts honking his horn and making a real scene. What then?

Park, and if they other driver grumbles, explain that you're possibly saving them from committing an offence by potentially parking facing the wrong way, and that they'll also find it difficult to get out again without causing an obstruction.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
The other car has been waiting in a virtual 'Great British' queue and other frightful drivers have not had the courtesy to let them park, an upstart has chanced upon on the space and is possibly choosing to ignore the appropriate etiquette and take the parking spot, they deserve a damn good tutting at...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

Are you typing this from your hospital bed? Bet you won't nick my parking space again, jerk?

Mike_P

Guru
Slightly off topic but I am always amazed at cars parked the wrong way on way streets, a traffic wardens gift although I expect they cannot do anything until it moves the wrong way along the road.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Oh and the other favourite.... Someone is standing in a parking space waiting for someone else who will be along in a few minutes to park in said space.

Oh oh and one more! Someone who just stops in the middle of the road and waits, even if it's several looong minutes waiting for a person who just got back to their parked car, put shopping in boot, slowly get in, put on the seatbelt.....and finally get out of the parking space. Ridiculous!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Scenario 1: I hope I would have spotted the car wanting park before getting to the space, so would carry on without a thought. Whether they should be parking facing the wrong way is not my place to police.

Scenario 2: the person can move - there's no reserving public parking spaces

Scenario 3: not sure what the options are? If the way is blocked you have no choice but to wait - there's no option of taking the space yourself.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I wasn't sure where to put this piece of dickery, I considered the SUV thread but this thread's probably better.
Every bad motoring trope in one image! Naturally there was no badge in the window either.
Screenshot_20221030_111046.jpg

Top Bottom