A car parking odessy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
to be fair they have left room for two disabled motorbike riders.....

And there's no electric charging point there, for their diesel Audi.
Also to their credit, it's not got a vanity plate. Perhaps W4 NKR wasn't available?

I would absolutely love to see 2 blue badge holders come along and park either side of that, giving minimal clearance. Then give the Audi a few dings with their doors for good measure.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
And there's no electric charging point there, for their diesel Audi.
Also to their credit, it's not got a vanity plate. Perhaps W4 NKR wasn't available?

I would absolutely love to see 2 blue badge holders come along and park either side of that, giving minimal clearance. Then give the Audi a few dings with their doors for good measure.

I once came across a Q7 parked in two spaces. As there was no other space in the car park, I was able to reverse my tiny Peugeot 205 in with inches to spare to the driver's side of the Audi which had been driven into the space.

I was locking my car when the Audi driver came back and started giving out about not leaving enough space so he could open the door. I politely pointed out that my car was between the lines and in a designated parking bay whereas his wasn't and walked on.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
It's bit like when I went to the barber but got there a few minutes before they open. Then comes along a guy who tells me he is first in line but he was just waiting in the car due to the rain.

Say what now?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I once came across a Q7 parked in two spaces. As there was no other space in the car park, I was able to reverse my tiny Peugeot 205 in with inches to spare to the driver's side of the Audi which had been driven into the space.

I was locking my car when the Audi driver came back and started giving out about not leaving enough space so he could open the door. I politely pointed out that my car was between the lines and in a designated parking bay whereas his wasn't and walked on.

I may have done similar in my ratty old Landrover, and also walked away when challenged :laugh:

The suggestion that they learn to park never goes down well....

T4tomo

Guru

Had you bailed out you passenger side then, as if parked as stated you would be drivers door to drivers door?

It's bit like when I went to the barber but got there a few minutes before they open. Then comes along a guy who tells me he is first in line but he was just waiting in the car due to the rain.
Since Covid my barbers has MyQsafe app. You can join the virtual Q, go grab a coffee etc elsewhere and monitor where you are in the queue.

Say what now?

:laugh:

You can actually see his point: if he'd stood in the rain, you'd be no better off, and he'd just get wet. What's the point? Let him keep his slot,* and get a warm pay-it-forward kinda feeling!

Since Covid my barbers has MyQsafe app. You can join the virtual Q, go grab a coffee etc elsewhere and monitor where you are in the queue.
Didn't know about - cracking idea!

[*I'm sure there was a Douglas Adams scene along these lines in one of the books ... ]

Alex321

Veteran
Park, and if they other driver grumbles, explain that you're possibly saving them from committing an offence by potentially parking facing the wrong way, and that they'll also find it difficult to get out again without causing an obstruction.

It isn't an offence to park facing the traffic flow. It is against Highway Code recommendations, but it not something listed as MUST NOT which it would be if it was a legal requirement.

It isn't an offence to park facing the traffic flow. It is against Highway Code recommendations, but it not something listed as MUST NOT which it would be if it was a legal requirement.

*sigh*

Rule 248​

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.

Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986​

Parking in darkness​

101.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2) no person shall, except with the except with the permission of a police officer in a uniform, cause or permit any motor vehicle to stand on a road at any time between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise unless the near side of the vehicle is as close as may be to the edge of the carriageway.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/101/made

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989​

(8) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (5)(c) are that–

(a)the vehicle is parked on a road on which the driving of vehicles otherwise than in one direction is prohibited at all times and its left or near side is as close as may be and parallel to the left-hand edge of the carriageway or its right or off side is as close as may be and parallel to the right-hand edge of the carriageway; or

(b)the vehicle is parked on a road on which such a prohibition does not exist and its left or near side is as close as may be and parallel to the edge of the carriageway.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/24/made

So where did the OP say it was at night?

Or even that it wasn't in a "recognised parking space"?
Where was any of that in your response that claimed it wasn't a MUST in the Highway Code or an offence?

Then again, I can't be bothered with these silly arguments, so...

jennifer-lawrence-pretty.gif

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
:laugh:

You can actually see his point: if he'd stood in the rain, you'd be no better off, and he'd just get wet. What's the point? Let him keep his slot,* and get a warm pay-it-forward kinda feeling!

Didn't know about - cracking idea!

[*I'm sure there was a Douglas Adams scene along these lines in one of the books ... ]

But then can't you get into the queue while you're still driving to the barber? Or does the barber have to validate something on your phone to show you have physically arrived on the premises and have now gone around the corner for coffee?

T4tomo

Guru
But then can't you get into the queue while you're still driving to the barber? Or does the barber have to validate something on your phone to show you have physically arrived on the premises and have now gone around the corner for coffee?

Scan the QR code. One inside the barbers but also one on the door / window too, so you can establish order if you arrive before they open.

There might also be a skip down a place option if you're still in the butchers or enjoying a latte when your turn comes up.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Scan the QR code. One inside the barbers but also one on the door / window too, so you can establish order if you arrive before they open.

There might also be a skip down a place option if you're still in the butchers or enjoying a latte when your turn comes up.

That is really cool.

Top Bottom