A chain wear checker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Twelve inch steel ruler.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
^^^ This, and it can be used for measuring other things too.:okay:

On a new chain 24 links measure 12" measured to the pin centres. If you replace when worn to 12" and 1/16th you may get away with reusing the cassette.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
I read somewhere that if you replace your chain when it should be replaced that you can get through 4 chains before your cassette has got to be replaced

True or false

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I read somewhere that if you replace your chain when it should be replaced that you can get through 4 chains before your cassette has got to be replaced

True or false
Too many variables to say for definite, such as the quality of the cassette and the conditions you ride in, but if the chains are replaced in good time you should usually get through two chains per cassette and probably more.

RegG

Über Member
This one from Wiggle is a good price even without the Gold discount its only £4......

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-chain-wear-tool/

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I wouldn't spend more than a tenner on a chain wear checker myself. £80 is a bit excessive to check a throw away £20 item.
I appreciate a knackered chain will knacker a cassette and chain rings eventually but ask yourself if you'd spend £80 to check the tread depth of your car tyres. I'm sure not many would and that has to be more important?

Top Bottom