A cheaper alternative and does the job just as well as the wolf tooth ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guitars and Bikes

Ive had enough of gasping up the steepest climbs and I am going to buy for my cannondale caad 8 a 10 speed sunrace 11-40 cassette to use with my shimano 105 groupset which has the medium gs rear derailleur. I know there are alternatives to the wolf tooth product that do the job just as well and for a lot less cash. I would be grateful if you could point me towards a suitable product in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Jameshow

Veteran
Long cage mech?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I believe "Medium" is as long as they get.

You're right, of course. The 105 SS is "short" and the GS is called "medium". I sometimes wonder why that is. Was there once a "long" in the past? Or do they think that image conscious cyclists would be too embarrassed to ride with a mechanism called "long cage" in case it implied that they have weedy legs.

(I have such weedy legs that I need a humungous cage derailler)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You're right, of course. The 105 SS is "short" and the GS is called "medium". I sometimes wonder why that is. Was there once a "long" in the past? Or do they think that image conscious cyclists would be too embarrassed to ride with a mechanism called "long cage" in case it implied that they have weedy legs.

(I have such weedy legs that I need a humungous cage derailler)

No idea. Mystery to me.

More to the point, why do groupsets get weird names? "Ultegra" sounds cool, fair enough, but 105? Dura-Ace?? Bizarro.

[the last one is my comment, not Shimano's latest urban fun groupset]

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Ive had enough of gasping up the steepest climbs and I am going to buy for my cannondale caad 8 a 10 speed sunrace 11-40 cassette to use with my shimano 105 groupset which has the medium gs rear derailleur. I know there are alternatives to the wolf tooth product that do the job just as well and for a lot less cash. I would be grateful if you could point me towards a suitable product in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve gone up to a 36tooth on my 105 medium .40:teeth may be beyond the capacity

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I picked up one of these via Amazon instead of the WolfTooth one. Partly due to cost and partly due to timescales:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0852WC6K9
Under £8 for a red version and seems OK.

I'd avoid them normally but was on a 3-day deadline for a lightweight hillclimb build.

bobzmyunkle

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/sunrace-rear-mech-extended-link-for-wide-ratio-cassettes/

No idea how good it is.

You'll probably get chain slap in small chairing and smaller sprockets.
I've just added one of these. Sunrace 11-40 cassette, 5700 shifter, deore 9 speed derailleur.
Only done a couple of rides so far. Shifts not quite crisp, but ok. Off to France soon, so hopefully the medium/long term performance holds up.
Still have to pedal, apparently.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've a Sunrace 11-40 cassette with a Sora derailleur and Sora shifters. This works with the aid of Spa Cycles imitation of a Wolf tooth.

It has worked reliably and accurately for around 4000 miles so far.

GuyBoden

Guru
The cheapest Gear Hanger I've found on Ebay are £2.99, so buy two, they are very good to use as a sacrificial hanger on frames that have no gear hanger.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285283218662?hash=item426c3474e6

You don't need a gear hanger if you change your rear derailleur, if you can get one, buy a Shimano Deore RD-M591 SGS 9 speed MTB rear derailleur. I run a 42t with a 9 speed Shimano Deore RD-M591 SGS, with no gear hanger, but you might need a longer B stop screw, depending on your frame design.

Info:
9 speed Shimano MTB derailleurs works fine with 10 speed Shimano road shifters.

10 Speed MTB Shimano derailleurs won't work with 10 speed Shimano road shifters.

D

Deleted member 121159

This may be what you're looking for, OP (mentioned by All Uphill): https://spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s222p4600/SPA-CYCLES-11-Speed-Extender-Link

I have one and don't use it as I've just installed a full MTB groupset for that low gearing. Would you like to buy it for £15 postage included, so cheaper than buying from Spa (they charge £5 for shipping & handling)?

Bear in mind this is for 'shadow' style Shimano derailleurs. I.e., ones that have an extra link connecting the derailleur to hanger. So like this one:

Shimano-105-R7000-groupset-review-3-of-9-37711f4.jpg

But not suitable for this:

shimano-105-rd-5701-rear-derailleur-short-cage-10-speeds.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom