A classic commute in more ways than one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Commuted into work for the first time this year yesterday, absolutely beautiful with hardly any traffic -mostly "old" farmhouses and pretty New England back roads. Only really spoilt (though I can't say my commute was really spoilt by this) by 2 things:

I know this sort of thing happens all the time, but coming home I go down a long long steep straight 2 lane downhill with a 30mph limit. Well, I let her fly (must have been doing at least 30-35mph) and I'm in strong primary position when... you guessed it..... a car behind me just has to do a classic overtake. Well, sure enough he does, and then gets beeped at my a car in the opposite direction as he has to cross over to the other side of the road to overtake.

And of course, the best thing is at the bottom of the hill is a stop sign with cars waiting -in full sight had he bothered to look ahead. When I got there, he was stopped behind 4 other vehicles -normally I don't mind just waiting at the last vehicle when there aren't many cars, but I've got to say the issue of making a point just got to me. I filtered forward ahead of him -I was really tempted to throw up my arms in a questioning motion or give him a quizzical glance, but I didn't. Anyway, boy, he really showed me -and how much worth that car overtake was.

Second thing was later in the commute going home, I have to cross some rail lines -and I saw a car coming up behind me so assumed a strong primary. Course, the car just overtakes on the other side of the rail lines -as I'm crossing the rail lines. I wished I could have caught up with her (old woman) to say just hold back for the 2 seconds it takes for a cyclist to clear rail lines. But I suppose the problem is some people just don't think.

MER Veteran

But I suppose the problem is some people just don't think.

Or are too thick.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Nigeyy said:
I wished I could have caught up with her (old woman) to say just hold back for the 2 seconds it takes for a cyclist to clear rail lines. But I suppose the problem is some people just don't think.

Its true though for all the time it takes to wait behind you would of only costed a mere 5 seconds if that ;). Problem with some drivers is that "i am bigger, faster and need to get home for my tea"...lets face it, the drivers that pass you, only just, have no patience what so ever.

MER Veteran

No it's because they are muppets.Met some good ones on the way home tonight though so they aren't all bad.
34zad74.gif

Plax

Guru
MER Veteran said:
No it's because they are muppets.Met some good ones on the way home tonight though so they aren't all bad.
34zad74.gif

Too true. Had a nice driver on my ride earlier. Narrow country road so no room for her to pass me. She waited patiently behind until I slowed down & pulled into the first available passing place. She did a "friendly" beep and smiled and waved in acknowledgement.

Plax said:
Too true. Had a nice driver on my ride earlier. Narrow country road so no room for her to pass me. She waited patiently behind until I slowed down & pulled into the first available passing place. She did a "friendly" beep and smiled and waved in acknowledgement.
I did similar when I used to commute from Edinburgh to Dunfermline (17.5mls). With only a couple of miles left and cycling up the steep back road from Inverkeithing to Dunfermline, a car came up behind me at the bottom of the hill and I pulled into a farm access to let her by. She responded with a nice wave, unfortunately I p**tured:blush:.

Top Bottom