A clicking from down below!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alasdairgf

I had very similar symptoms - but on a very cheap bike. I ignored the clicking - which I initially thought was perhaps a loose spoke on the front wheel - until yesterday, when the whole wretched bike came to a halt on my way to an important appointment.

Turned out to the be bearings on the rear wheel, had to buy a new wheel. Fortunately, bloke at LBS took one my bike, declared it a P.O.S. (I already knew that!), and suggested cheapest poss option was a reconditioned wheel at £23. Much cheaper than I had feared! Props to the guys at Picton Cycles who dealt with me just as attentively as the guy at the counter blowing £1,500 in readies on a fancy new MB.

Missed the freakin' appointment of course. Oh well, teach me to ignore ominous creakings & clickings!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Today I've had a go at my click- don't know if I've solved it yet (need a longer test ride with a hill in it!)

Pedals off, cranks off, chainrings dismantled, all bits cleaned and greased and reassembled. A couple of the chainring bolts were a bit dirty and had some light corrosion on the outside where they meet the chainrings. We'll see..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had a similar clicking noise that only happened it fastest gear ratio that could not be replicated unless under load.
Seems the freehub had worn and was twisting under load on the gear furthest away from the spokes.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Update
I stripped the chainset again good clean and grease, put back together and the click was still there but quiter. Did the Loughborough ride on Saturday and all was well. Yesterday worse than ever sounded like something was about to cease up so a quick spray with GT85 and got home and halfway to work today. Guess I will be stripping the whole bike down to component parts tonight and replace, clean, grease any suspect parts. or I could just buy another bike cause this one is clearly worn out :smile:

Do you think the wife will believe me? No me neither.

rh100

I had one the other day, was after changing the gear/brake levers and re-setting up the cables.

It turned out I'd set the front mech slightly off, the back of the right crank was just about brushing the end of the mech on each stroke causing a little tick noise.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My annoying click turned out to be the valve stem on the innertube'My new Michelin tubes have smooth stems and no lock ring nut.bike is almost on silent running now first time sinse I bought it.

Top Bottom