A commuter with two choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nealv91

The cycle to work scheme has just opened for me at work and i'm looking at two bikes.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Boardman-URB-8-9-2019-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_118049.htm

And

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Hyde-Race-2019-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_200221.htm

I just need to know which is better to go for. Both have the same hub gear set but the cube has the belt drive and it has the rear lights in the seat bar. The boardman looks fantastic and is a bit cheaper so that I can grab a few extras with my voucher either way can anyone give me any other pros and cons for either bike.

Thaaaanks!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Cube has a slightly better spec, better brakes etc and the Gates belt drive is clean and really quiet but I would go for the Boardman because it has Carbon forks and it’s cheaper!

Sharky

Guru
For commuting, the some of the issues you need to resolve are luggage carrying (clothes, wash kits, shoes, laptops and books etc). What sort of bags/panniers are you going to use? Backpacks are one solution, but not very comfortable over longer commutes.
Secondly, weather protection - mudguards are essential it you want to keep your feet and back dry.

With the cube and lights in the seat bar? Would these be hidden if you used saddle bags?

Belt drives may be quieter and more efficient, but I would be worried if there was a problem a few years later. Will you be able to call into your local bike shop and get a replacement?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Apart from the belt drive I'd say you couldn't get a fag paper between them. If you felt the clean no maintenance belt drive was something you'd find appealing I'd say go for that.

D

Deleted member 23692

Having owned a Cube Hyde Race, I'd wholeheartedly recommend one for commuting. IMO the spec is far better than the boardman, where it counts

OP
OP
N

nealv91

Hi everyone and thank you for the replies!
I’m going to have a look at the cube race this week and hopefully have a test ride at an Evans. I’m struggling to find a dealer near me where I can ride the URB boardman. My dress code for work is pretty relaxed and there are shower facilities at work and lockers so I can keep the majority of my stuff there. The price of the boardman is what’s getting me tbh so I can grab a few high quality accessories but I’ll see what the cube is like this week!

D

Deleted member 23692

Surprised to see an aluminium fork on the Cube at that price point.
With 42mm tyres I'd question if you need carbon as there's plenty of bounce in the tyres to quell and road buzz. The Boardman with skinnier 32mm tyres might well benefit from carbon forks. If it was a toss up between carbon forks/Tektro Brakes or ali forks/Shimano brakes, I'd go for Shimano brakes every time

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
With 42mm tyres I'd question if you need carbon as there's plenty of bounce in the tyres to quell and road buzz. The Boardman with skinnier 32mm tyres might well benefit from carbon forks. If it was a toss up between carbon forks/Tektro Brakes or ali forks/Shimano brakes, I'd go for Shimano brakes every time
I meant because marketing, really, much less to do with utility.

vickster

Legendary Member
so I went into evans and they didn't have the Hyde race in however they did have this

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-SL-Road-Race-2019-Road-Bike_200191.htm

I think it really is a beautiful bike. Am I missing out a lot if i go for the hub gear set up. My commute is relatively flat and about 10-12 miles return a day.

Thanks!
Did you take it out for a test ride?
I think hub gears are designed for commuting, especially flat

Edit - do mean don't go for...?

Most commuters use derailleur gearing and have no issues, but you will need to keep clean if all weather riding and replace parts like chain and cassette as they wear
On the plus side, apparently fixing punctures with hub gears is much more difficult so that's one bonus point if commuting and in a hurry

If your journey is flat and you want low maintenance, have you considered single speed?

Last edited:

nonowt

Über Member
would this be a new bike to replace one your currently commuting on or a new bike with the intention of starting cycling to work?

I ask because garages and sheds across the land contain unused bikes bought with the best intentions! These can often be bought cheaply. So, if you're not currently cycling to work I'd suggest picking up a half-decent 2nd hand bike to see how you get on. That way you can always resell it without much/any loss if you fall out of the commuting habit (or decide to opt for the C2W scheme later). You may also find that your tastes and needs change once you start commuting. The bike I started commuting on is very different to what I ride now.

as @Sharky mentions mudguards are essential. In heavy rain the water that comes from the sky is nothing compared to the filthy stuff that sprays up from the road.

D

Deleted member 23692

so I went into evans and they didn't have the Hyde race in however they did have this

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-SL-Road-Race-2019-Road-Bike_200191.htm

I think it really is a beautiful bike. Am I missing out a lot if i go for the hub gear set up. My commute is relatively flat and about 10-12 miles return a day.

Thanks!
I had one of those too, albeit a 2015 spec model :smile:, which I eventually I converted to a drop bar gravel/winter/tourer. Again it's a great bike with a wide spread of gears compared with the Hyde's 8, plus you've got full shimano 105 drivetrain and with a 34/32 bottom gear you'll get up anything.

Both this and the hyde are both suitable as commuters, and apart for the 22 vs 8 gears dilema the only real world difference is the Alfine required far less maintenance, but It is slightly more involved when it does. The hydes will cover ground quicker as you'll be able to find a 'better' gear due to greater choice.

I do like green bikes :smile:

As bought...

sl.jpg

Drop bar conversion

SL Road Race 04-16 Side.jpg

Top Bottom