A confession

Is it a sin to ride a DF when you have a 'bent?

• Yes - you will burn in hell for ever

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Yes - but if you confess you are absolved of your sins

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No - as long as you are on 2 or 3 wheels its fine now stop whinging and get out and ride

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenM

Veteran
I happened to be in Surrey on Saturday and saw loads of weirdos on DF bikes... something to do with a cycle tour though I didn't see where they could keep their luggage!

The confession is that I was riding a DF as well!

Manged 23 miles between Goldalming & Cranleigh and back (I went the scenic route), over took loads of MTB riding peoples on my Marin Hybrid on the Downs link path - now that was a surprise, what with me being a recumbenaught these days, the mostly slick tyres on the Fairfax and the muddiness of the path.

Today, however, I remember why I got a 'bent... no saddle soreness, no aching wrists, no lower back ache and no sore neck!

I did notice that I was much quicker on the DF than I used to be - must be the 'bent legs :smile:

fossala

Guru
Sorry what is a DF? Also I have seen 'bent round here a lot, might as well fill me in there as well :rolleyes:

lazytyke

Guru
I did notice that I was much quicker on the DF than I used to be - must be the 'bent legs

I do about 90% of my riding ona recumbent now. What amazes me is the improvement in DF speed, it's a good 20%. I did a 100k ride on the DF rceently and was cycling (not pushing hard) most of the way at speeds of over 20mph, with an average over the ride of around 17-18mph. I would never have achieved more then 14 mph average in the past. It wasn't just a one off I've found this on most of my DF rides. I think it's just been used to working a little bit harder all the time.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I ride 'bents for commute and (when time affords) leisure. I have use of a solitary DF, which gets pulled into duty for child ferrying. It has a childseat on the back (too awkward and high to mount on any of my 'bents) and is easier to hop on/off, u-turn, etc, when riding with my 5 year old. He still thinks a grown up bike is a laid back bike, and always asks when he'll be big enough to get his "proper" bike.

young Ed

Veteran
Sorry what is a DF? Also I have seen 'bent round here a lot, might as well fill me in there as well :rolleyes:
bents are recumbents but with 2 wheels and the main frame is made of one big piece of bent tube rather than welded
Cheers Ed

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Now I remember why I sold my ICE trike and Bacchetta Giro. ^_^

People thought I was an invalid. I realised that I had been duped by all the clips On YouTube. Not once did I see a recumbent being ridden uphill. They are all clips of flat landscape or sweeping downhills. Why is that do you think?

Now I have got rid of my modern day bath chair, I have room in the shed for my Koga World Traveller 29 and new Planet X carbon Road bike. I can get more gear on the Koga than I could on my ICE trike. I can just imagine trying to ride a bent around the mountains of Majorca.

Snobbery amongst cyclists needs to be stamped out. ^_^

Steve

Piles are like this this thread. irritating.

starhawk

Now I remember why I sold my ICE trike and Bacchetta Giro. ^_^

People thought I was an invalid. I realised that I had been duped by all the clips On YouTube. Not once did I see a recumbent being ridden uphill. They are all clips of flat landscape or sweeping downhills. Why is that do you think?

Now I have got rid of my modern day bath chair, I have room in the shed for my Koga World Traveller 29 and new Planet X carbon Road bike. I can get more gear on the Koga than I could on my ICE trike. I can just imagine trying to ride a bent around the mountains of Majorca.

Snobbery amongst cyclists needs to be stamped out. ^_^

Steve

Haven't ever run into anybody thinking I was a invalid, but then I was never duped by the clips on Youtube, I was just fascinated with the prospect of riding steady on three wheels, and it turned out to be just as lovely as I imagined

Top Bottom