A Couple More Bits And Pieces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Ultregra 6800 11 speed short cage rear mech. Probably covered about 1500 mile before I gave up with 11-28 and replaced with a longer cage variety to facilitate a bigger cassette. £20.00 plus postage. Mech now sold.

Shimano St R221 & R225 Flat bar shifters. These are 3 x 8 and were shifting a 52-42-30 up front and a 11-26 on the rear. They have different cable positions to adapt to V or caliper brakes. £15.00 plus Postage. 575369

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ultregra 6800 11 speed short cage rear mech. Probably covered about 1500 mile before I gave up with 11-28 and replaced with a longer cage variety to facilitate a bigger cassette. £20.00 plus postage.
View attachment 575368

Shimano St R221 & R225 Flat bar shifters. These are 3 x 8 and were shifting a 52-42-30 up front and a 11-26 on the rear. They have different cable positions to adapt to V or caliper brakes. £15.00 plus Postage. View attachment 575369
Did @Reynard sort the levers out on her bike.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yes, assuming your twist grips are 3x8 speed too. you'll need to use the appropriate (i'm assuming V brake) cable slot.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Yep - that's the upgrade I did. I do not get on terribly well with the twist-type shifters.

Twist grip are a nightmare if you have a bit of arthritis!

The principle behind them is quite simple and effective - which makes them a cheap option.

But, they're not great for small hands and become fiddly in the wet. And they're not very repairable if things go t*ts up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The principle behind them is quite simple and effective - which makes them a cheap option.

But, they're not great for small hands and become fiddly in the wet. And they're not very repairable if things go t*ts up.
And rubbish for kids who often don't have a strong grip, yet a cheap stiff twist grip is common on a kids bike.

And rubbish for kids who often don't have a strong grip, yet a cheap stiff twist grip is common on a kids bike.

I think we can blame the bean counters for that.

Plus the assumption that a lot of kids bikes will get knocked about and trashed, and hence get fitted with cheap components, often made of cheese. As an, erm, undertall lady who rides junior bikes, I have firsthand experience of this.

Which is one of the reasons why I completely stripped the vintage Raleigh MTB I acquired cheaply last summer and put a decent transmission, shifters and wheelset on. Because it's a pretty decent frame - basically a smaller version of the adult bike, which was much better specced.

Top Bottom