A Couple More Bits And Pieces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Which is one of the reasons why I completely stripped the vintage Raleigh MTB I acquired cheaply last summer and put a decent transmission, shifters and wheelset on. Because it's a pretty decent frame - basically a smaller version of the adult bike, which was much better specced.
Good way to go. My GF was after a gravel /CX bike to add to her XS framed road-bike. Wasn't that much around 2nd hand in that frame size but ended up picking up an old but light Dolan junior CX racing frameset with some fairly worn out components on it. New wheels, and an upgrade to 10sp over time with short reach shifters (sadly the short reach 9sp ultegra shifters it came with gave up the ghost a little while back) and its make a cracking bike for not to much money.

Here they be...
ST-EF29L and -7

Good way to go. My GF was after a gravel /CX bike to add to her XS framed road-bike. Wasn't that much around 2nd hand in that frame size but ended up picking up an old but light Dolan junior CX racing frameset with some fairly worn out components on it. New wheels, and an upgrade to 10sp over time with short reach shifters (sadly the short reach 9sp ultegra shifters it came with gave up the ghost a little while back) and its make a cracking bike for not to much money.

Here's what I ended up with - a MTB frame with touring gearing (we're out in the fens here, not much in the way of up-and-down stuff). Not had as much time to ride it this winter as I'd have liked, but hey ho...

NR1F6923_small.jpg

I still have a few upgrades in the pipeline (seatpost, bars, a better front guard and Charge Ladle saddle) but none of them are terribly pressing. The bike's a bit staid on dry tarmac, but show it wet or muddy roads, or loose gravel, and it's fun to ride. :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Very smart, and clean and shiny! and running Canti's as is the Dolan. I do like them despite being a slight fiddle to set up, but the only option with fat tires and drop bars and pre disc era frames. if you get any fork judder, switch to a up hanger off the fork bridge, rather than the long cable run from the stem. We encountered that issue, but its now solved!!

Very smart, and clean and shiny! and running Canti's as is the Dolan. I do like them despite being a slight fiddle to set up, but the only option with fat tires and drop bars and pre disc era frames. if you get any fork judder, switch to a up hanger off the fork bridge, rather than the long cable run from the stem. We encountered that issue, but its now solved!!

The brakes are one of the few original components that escaped the cull. The calipers cleaned up nicely, and with decent pads and levers, do a good job of stopping the bike. Original brake levers were those plastic and wire jobbies - very disconcerting... :wacko:

BTW, that cable on the front brake isn't as long as it seems - it's a 15 inch frame on 24 inch wheels. :laugh:

Top Bottom