A Curry With John Peel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
This post is an unabashed plug for a mate's book....

…. but given the Cyclechat demographic and periodic music threads I trust it will not be unwelcome.

MrsPK, appears at numerous points in the narrative (Vicky/Victoria) and acted as Honorary Proof Reader-cum-Editor

Print run for the book was 1000, of which about 950 are currently residing in the author's spare room - ie this is a vanity project not a money making scheme!

>>

A Curry with John Peel by Richard Williams

Cover blurb:

In 1980 Southampton had a burgeoning independent music scene with a variety of bands spanning the spectrum from post punk through to experimental via the post-industrial 'Factory' style of output. Following the release of an independent LP emerging down the M27 in Portsmouth a small group of students decided that they could do it just as well for Southampton. What transpired was an attempt to put out an album that swerved from avoiding one car crash to another, with the simple, but seemingly impossible goal of getting the music played by John Peel on Radio 1. This is the story of White Elephant Records, and their album, 'City Walls'.

>>

Facebook link - with more info and a link to purchase a hard or e-copy

https://www.facebook.com/A-Curry-With-John-Peel-106186937415027/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

The punch line, of course, is that Peel did play the album on his show and DJ'd the Album Launch Disco AND bought our mate a Curry afterwards.

20191130_114832 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
What does a cum editor do? :scratch:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There are some real gems hidden in these innocuous posts.

I still really miss John Peel and his Home Truths, such a wonderful and funny prog. I'll never the one about the cumudgeon who did all the shopping and then sold it to his wife who had to take it out of her housekeeping.

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
There are some real gems hidden in these innocuous posts.

I still really miss John Peel and his Home Truths, such a wonderful and funny prog. I'll never the one about the cumudgeon who did all the shopping and then sold it to his wife who had to take it out of her housekeeping.
Does anybody here remember the 'Rough Auntie' one?

Top Bottom