A D-Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
I need a not to cheap not to expensive D-Lock which does the job which one would you recommend ?

Mike_P

Guru
Not Kryptonite IME. Nothing wrong as a lock but if not kept dry and oiled the mechanism can jam making unlocking appear to a watcher as if you are trying to nick the bike.

Dadam

Price/performance I'd probably go for the Abus Ultimate 420. It's Sold Secure Gold and available between £30-£40 if you shop around. Like most things an angle grinder will go straight through it but the alternative is spending £150 on a Litelok X1.

I've had a Kryptonite, an Abus and a Pragmasis jam due to misaligned discs. A bit of lube and gently jiggling the key has sorted them luckily. Just something to be careful of, plus I try to remember to pull the key out carefully in a straight line.

vickster

Legendary Member
Abus granit Gold rated if you’re locking up anywhere around London/high risk area for any length of time. Nothing too long but not so short that it’ll be a challenge to use in tight areas (assume you’ll be locking to a normal bike stand not street furniture!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing wrong with Kryptonite. I have a Mini FAGH which is super secure, but it's super small, so I'd advise getting the longer version if you aren't sure where your bike will be locked - mine was for work sheffield stands in poor security areas.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with Kryptonite. I have a Mini FAGH which is super secure, but it's super small, so I'd advise getting the longer version if you aren't sure where your bike will be locked - mine was for work sheffield stands in poor security areas.

they do need some maintenance, can get a bit moody if used in all weathers!

Mike_P

Guru
they do need some maintenance, can get a bit moody if used in all weathers!

Indeed, I use a small one on my ebike and quickly learnt to bring it indoors when the bike is locked in the metal cycle shed as the mech clearly expands and contracts / jams in temperature extremes.

Mazz

All depends what cheap/expensive means to the OP.

I've got a couple of Abus D-locks. One's kept out in all weather all year round. Never let me down.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Abus Granit X Plus 540. Had mine for sixteen years. It's come clean out of the housing, twice, and in December I had my first ever issue with it- the PVC sleeve on the shackle slipped (when I unlocked it, thankfully, rather than jamming shut) and when I was back home had to be 'persuaded' back into position. Still fully functional. Still works (that one issue excepted) every time. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Saw what was labelled as a Kryptonite lock on a cycle stand a few days ago; the shackle had been neatly cut through. :dry:

They're not all the same, range from Bronze to Gold rated. Mine is a silver IIRC, my Abus Granit, Gold

Top Bottom