A dangerous dog.... always a dangerous dog!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The bottom line is if you havent got the time, patience, common sense and knowledge to bring a dog to its full potential, get a goldfish instead :biggrin:
That's unfair on the goldfish; I'd suggest that they should not be pet owners (or parents) if they are that lacking - they should just concentrate on looking after themselves!

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I'm not an expert on dogs but I know somebody that is and I remember him saying that some dogs are cleverer than others and his alsatian is probably as clever as a 6 year old child. Probably that is an exaggeration.

As a child I had 3 dogs and they were all very friendly dogs.... I have good memories of them, having said that, dogs are animals and I would not put them at the same level of humans.

You are correct, the "just joking" bit was the edited part :rolleyes: - dogs don't have sense of humour :biggrin:

German Sheppard's are one of the most intelligent breeds out there, along with collies and huskies.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
The bottom line is if you havent got the time, patience, common sense and knowledge to bring a dog to its full potential, get a goldfish instead :biggrin:

I'd go along with that. As I said before I had 3 dogs as a child and that was fine. However, as an adult I never felt inclined to get a dog. My kids would have loved one but kids don't look after dogs and I could not demand from them something I was not prepared to do myself.

My son is buying a dog for his son and that is all very well I think, however, when he dropped a hint to leave the dog with us when they go away.... I had to remind him why I don't have a dog :biggrin:

Basically, some parents get their kids a dog like you get them a toy and that is simply wrong. Dogs need a lot of looking after and that is not an easy task.

Personally I would not trust a doberman, rottweiler, etc with a child..... I know many of you do and that is fine but I could not do that.

Norm

Personally I would not trust a doberman, rottweiler, etc with a child..... I know many of you do and that is fine but I could not do that.
Indeed, and this is why we decided 15 years ago (and before the Smalls turned up) to get a Labrador rather than a German Shepherd.

montyboy

I'd go along with that. As I said before I had 3 dogs as a child and that was fine. However, as an adult I never felt inclined to get a dog. My kids would have loved one but kids don't look after dogs and I could not demand from them something I was not prepared to do myself.

My son is buying a dog for his son and that is all very well I think, however, when he dropped a hint to leave the dog with us when they go away.... I had to remind him why I don't have a dog :biggrin:

Basically, some parents get their kids a dog like you get them a toy and that is simply wrong. Dogs need a lot of looking after and that is not an easy task.

There is no reason not to trust a Dobermann or a Rottweiler but unfortunately some dogs within these breeds have been bred from because of their aggression. It is just as possible to have an aggresive Labrador or Poodle but generally this has not been a desireable trait in within this breed

Dogs are bred to inherit the characteristics from their parents, these characteristics include physical ones such as colouring as well as temprement. If you want a dog that looks like a Rottweiler then buy a puppy from a litter bred from two Rottweilers. If you want to buy a dog that looks like a Rottweiler and has a gentle temprement then buy a puppy from a litter bred from two Rottweilers with a gentle temprement.

Most good breeders will allow you to meet the parents and grandparents and can tell you which puppies from the litter will turn out to mild mannered, boisterous etc.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Neighbours of ours used to have a vicious chihuahua. Well actually, it wasn't vicious but it certainly brought out the vicious in me. Never could look at that damn rat without wanting to strangle it. Yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap (inhale) yap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap (inhale) yap yap yap yap yap yap yapyap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap....you get the idea.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Lol! sounds like the yorkshire terror next door to me :biggrin:
My chihuahuahuahua is 6 months old now and has never barked. She may well make up for this in time :wacko:

There's an old joke about an old woman, a chihuahua and depilatory cream which I won't elaborate on.:whistle:

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
There is no reason not to trust a Dobermann or a Rottweiler but unfortunately some dogs within these breeds have been bred from because of their aggression. It is just as possible to have an aggresive Labrador or Poodle but generally this has not been a desireable trait in within this breed

Dogs are bred to inherit the characteristics from their parents, these characteristics include physical ones such as colouring as well as temprement. If you want a dog that looks like a Rottweiler then buy a puppy from a litter bred from two Rottweilers. If you want to buy a dog that looks like a Rottweiler and has a gentle temprement then buy a puppy from a litter bred from two Rottweilers with a gentle temprement.

Most good breeders will allow you to meet the parents and grandparents and can tell you which puppies from the litter will turn out to mild mannered, boisterous etc.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? :biggrin:

Top Bottom