A Danish success story.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not a euphemism then? Calling @Fnaar
I've had a Pole in my yard before

snorri

Legendary Member
In an attempt to get the thread back on topic........................I struggle to see the attraction for hosts who are only likely to attract those tight fisted campers unwilling to pay for a camp site, or for campers who will be on a pitch with restrictions in line with the eccentricities of the garden owner, and will be unable to enjoy access to all the facilities they have become used to on modern camp sites

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In an attempt to get the thread back on topic........................I struggle to see the attraction for hosts who are only likely to attract those tight fisted campers unwilling to pay for a camp site, or for campers who will be on a pitch with restrictions in line with the eccentricities of the garden owner, and will be unable to enjoy access to all the facilities they have become used to on modern camp sites

Cos it's nice to be nice?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I really wouldn't want any old cyclist kipping on my lawn, they'd leave oily marks and pee in the buddleia then come inside in the morning and stink out my bathroom.

I seem to remember coming across something similar to this a few years ago - but it was international and commercial. People rented out space in their gardens. I poked around, looked at a few likely locations and never bothered to bookmark it. Prices were ridiculous.

It's a great idea, but like a lot of great ideas it's prone to abuse. I'm on warmshowers and have had requests from people looking for accommodation that didn't even have bikes!

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is why it will work in Denmark and not in the UK. The Danes have a a totally different view on being sociable and helping people out to the Brits. Its a culture thing.

There are some good stories and pictures on FB. Some hosts have some really nice places to stay at.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
For those canoeing down the River Wye there is a well known stop over, which is the garden of a stately home.

M'Lady often appears, complete with obligatory Labradors in tow, just to make sure all is OK.
One time one of our younger members who had been for an involuntary swim followed by a climb up a bank of mud was offered a warm bath (after being hosed down by the gardener)

Brains

Legendary Member
Ummm.... where was this stately home, did you say? I do get very dirty at times.

Brobery House near Hereford.
A quick google shows that it's now a wedding venue, so filthy riff raff may be turned away at the door now a days!
Although Google street view still shows a well worn exit from the river to the flat bit of the garden, so single night camping is probably still permitted, if not advertised.

upload_2019-6-24_17-47-45.png

Top Bottom