a day off from the bike tomorrow ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well hello to you all, I am new here, but not to cycling, but just getting back into it after a few years absence. I have been wanting to get back into cycling again, my Trek hanging on the garage wall testament as to how it used to be.

So eventually decided to cycle to work. Its 17 miles each way, and I have done it 4 times so far, and all going well, but after last Friday, Sunday, Monday and today, its 2 days off to let the legs recover !

The bike bits okay, but walking upstairs does hurt a little !

But overall its going well, forgotten just how brilliant it is to be back in the saddle, its making me loose weight, saves on petrol, and I can also cancel the gym membership.

Not experienced the rain yet !

So I ran out of excuses and I am glad I made the effort to do so.

Thought I would share my thoughts.

Take it easy folks

Kev

:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Sounds good Kev :biggrin:

Keep enjoying it and keep allowing time for rest.

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
Kev, Im new to the cycle commuting also (3 weeks in), doing a 26 mile round trip commute. Now doing one day on one day off at moment, im finding the walking bit difficult also, dont add a lunchtime game of squash.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
17 miles each way is good going.

i've just started commuting on the bike this week, 12 miles each way. please tell me the first week is the hardest :biggrin: ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
well done mate, my normal commute is 12.5 miles each way. But over the last few months I have extended it to 16 miles each way. You soon get used to it.... and Glory Be it's fun...

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
Thanks for the replies guys.

What I have noticed is that it does get easier, already, which is good, but yet to beat my best time of 1 hr 7 mins, but the other side effects I have noticed are

no more trouble getting to sleep !

hungry at work all day

you have to be organised, cause you can't nip back home if you have forgotten anything

Once I am past the half way point going, psychologically it seems easier

Once I reach the outskirts of Cambridge the legs feel like new cause you know the end is almost there

Need some long fingered gloves for the morning

Arm warmers are brilliant cause you can roll them down once your warmed up

Today ran out of drink on the way home which didn't help, but you only do it once.

All in all, one of the better things I have done this year.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
kevin_cambs_uk said:
hungry at work all day

yeah, i've noticed this already, i'm starting to think that all the money I'm saving on petrol will be spent on food instead ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am constantly Hungry due to the mileage I do now.
and +1 for the arm warmers..

Have a look at this site Kevin, you can log your rides. There is a Cycle Chat team.. but be careful... it's very addictive..http://www.cyclogs.org

Top Bottom