A different act of vigilantism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CotterPin

When I read Cab's thread this morning I thought he was talking about the incident I observed on my ride to work today. However this act of vigilantism was from the other end and could have been lethal.

This morning I observed a cyclist riding the wrong way along a one way street. A van approached him (going in the right direction) at a little speed, knocking the cyclist with his wing mirror. The cyclist was pushed onto the side of the road but stayed upright and after a few seconds cycled off. The van continued in the other direction (I was waiting for him to pass before joining the road).

IMO it looked intentional to me so I can only assume that the driver of the van was acting out his own but more dangerous vigilantism and had taken it upon himself to act as Judge Dredd. I didn't get the van's details but I wll keep an eye out for him in that area (Where Tabernacle Street and Paul Street meet south of Great Eastern Street in London).

The cyclist's action was silly (and illegal) but does not justify anyone thinking they can take taking out summary justice on him.

Stephen

ChrisKH

Guru
I have been on the receiving end of this type of vigilantism several times, usually by a car passing close enough with intent to hit (with wing mirror), brush with bodywork or generally to force me off the road. The problem is proving the intent on the part of the driver.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've been hit like this too, only I wasn't doing anything wrong or illegal. Just skating on the road. The red mist descended and I would have done something I regretted if I'd caught him. Lucky I didn't.

There is a contra flow bike lane down a rather quiet road in Twickenham (ie one way for motor vehicles, two way for bikes.) The problem is – if you cycle against the traffic in the contra flow lane, drivers think your breaking the law and occasionally drive / shout at you, and if you cycle with the traffic, they occasionally drive / shout at you for not being in the cycle lane (which is only for bikes going in the opposite direction)! Best avoided.

ChrisKH

Guru
hackbike 6 said:
Were you breaking the road rules at the time ChrisKH?

Although even if you were it doesn't justify it,it may explain it or it could be against cyclists in general.

No, I wasn't. Taking primary to protect myself is an illegal act in Essex dont'cha know. ;)That's about as naughty as I get (on the road). They were anti-cycling/don't want to wait for a few seconds more inspired acts by male motorists who aren't getting any (I suspect).

Cab

Ahh, yes, the old "I'll enforce the law with using my vehicle as a weapon" paradox. Sadly, not uncommon. Slightly sadder still, not uncommon for a totally incorrect version of the law to be thus enforced :becool:

(only slightly sadder because, on a scale of one to dreadful, most of the things cyclists are doing wrong to get such a response rate one or two, and the response rates pretty damned dreadful).

Top Bottom