A few bend spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ch3

I recently put the front light on the fork, because I got a handlebar bag. It was only today that I had to attach and use the light and just after a couple of minutes, the attachment went loose and the light started spinning around the fork hitting the spokes like crazy.
After that I started hearing a tick sound while riding and then noticed that a few of the spokes are bend, making the wheel touching the brake pads.

Should I just try to unbend the spokes with my fingers and then try to adjust their tension my self? Or should I better take it to the shop?
I've never attempted fixing it before... but I kind of know the principle.

montage

God Almighty
I think spokes are like 80p each? so a cheap fix if you can do it yourself...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Spokes don't bend ....unless it's for the scrap heap........the wheel might be out of true - if you don't know how to fix it - bike shop.

You may have 'kinks' in them - go to a shop, have them replaced.

Don't put heavy lights on the forks....you are asking for nasty trouble..........

Truing a wheel is a bit more complex than it looks as it will probably need a vertical and lateral adjustment. Also the force may have stretched/weakened other spokes so that if it is repaired it may fail again unless these are also replaced.

You could pop it in for repair but it took a really good clout I'd cut my losses and get a new wheel - see if the lbs has any good second hand wheels that are suitable.

OP
OP
C

ch3

Well I just had a better look this morning and after watching some youtube videos I think I manage to fix the problem.
The spoke bends were not that bad, so I straighten them with my fingers. Then adjusted them by tightening the break pads more and more while fine tuning the spokes, until I got it so close that I was not able to see if it is the left or right pad that touches the rim. When I place a pencil against the frame and the rim, the wheel doesn't wobble more than half a millimeter or something.
Do you think that is good enough, or should I take it to the shop anyway?
I'll definitely buy a few spare spokes to have with me on the tour.

Spokes don't bend ....unless it's for the scrap heap
Are you sure? Mine just did. The wheel is a shimano R500 with stainless steel spokes.

thank you

Personally if I was going on tour I'd get the front wheel replaced as the spokes have been weakened and might send the wheel out of true more easily especially if you are carrying extra weight.

Spokes do bend of course - what Fossy was getting at is they lose their structural integrity with bending so they will have been weakened - once in the initial damage and secondly during the bending back process. As it is a front wheel you may get away with the repair as is but I wouldn't expect it to take too much punishment.

OP
OP
C

ch3

hmm ok I see...
well I'll ride it for the next week to see how it behaves and if needed I will replace it.
Luckily I won't be having front panniers. Just a handlebar bag.

thanks for the input.

Top Bottom