A few pics of the Tourmalet and Aspin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I spent a few days in the Pyrenees with 3 friends a week or so ago. The main aim was to do the Tourmalet so we could tick off another iconic climb. We stayed with a wonderful, friendly English couple in their large property with great food, good prices and unlimited amounts of beer and wine. We normally try to do the 'big' climb on day 1 before the beer drains all our resolve but the weather was very misty so we warmed up with a lumpy 45 miler instead. Day 2 was a a complete contrast of 30 deg and cloudless skies - a bit too hot but better than not being able to see the views.
From our lodgings we had a 10 mile slog to Arreau and then a 6 mile climb up the Col d'Aspin just so we could descend all the way down again to the base of the Tourmalet at St Marie de Campan. It starts off quite gently and then ramps up to 10% for most of the last 7 miles out of 10.
Great ascent in searing heat in 1h 30 and a couple beers later we hammered down, back up the Aspin and then 16 miles downhill to home, food and red wine.

DSCN2252.jpg

DSCN2255.jpg

DSCN2259.jpg

DSCN2267.jpg

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Fantastic pictures Mr P, thanks for sharing :sad:

I will definately be visiting the area soon :ohmy:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cheers. The pics are easy in that scenery and that weather! I'd recommend the area for magnificent rides and a mixture of rolling hills or big mountains.
I ought to give Ian and Alison a plug at www.pleinairpyrenees.com too.

theloafer

Legendary Member
great pics there rich.. hope we get some as good in the alps, and the day we get to watch stage 17 of the tour..:tongue: have made my mind up about bike...trek is going

peanut

remember Steve Mcqueen in the great escape ?
wow.......

well done Rich ,even reading about it makes my legs ache :tongue:

jags

Guru
brilliant stuff,those roads look so smooth

asterix

Comrade Member
Thanks for the pictures - it's great cycling country. This is my pic at the top of the col du Tourmalet:
DSCF0089.jpg

It's the lead rider in the Tour de France (women's event) just reaching the top and taking refreshement. They made it look so easy:sad: On my descent 5 cars pulled over to let me by; bikes can get round the hairpins a lot quicker than cars.

Top Bottom