A few weeks back, in Leeds, I was forced off the road by a van. Guess who the van belonged to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M
That's a bit of a sweeping statement. I've had good responses from First Bus in the past. What was your incident with First and how did you contact them?
A bus owned by First cut in front of me and I had to do an emergency stop to avoid being run over by the back wheels. I wrote to the chairman with a note of the date, time and bus number. I got a letter back from a minion to the effect that all First drivers were trained professionals and as I had no evidence or injuries the matter was closed.

BUT, you are quite correct, it IS a sweeping statement and I hate those. 

Jezston

Über Member
Also, just because you've had bad luck with a crappy bus company when complaining, don't you think you might have a better, more sympathetic reponse from a company that sells bicycles?

Jezston

Über Member
A bus owned by First cut in front of me and I had to do an emergency stop to avoid being run over by the back wheels. I wrote to the chairman with a note of the date, time and bus number. I got a letter back from a minion to the effect that all First drivers were trained professionals and as I had no evidence or injuries the matter was closed.

Wow. That is pretty ****ing horrible.

Although, you may have had a better response contacting the local garage rather than the letter getting viewed by the legal department. Hindsight etc. However, in my experience the legal team may of course not wish to accept any liability at all, but that the driver still got a bollocking anyway.

BUT, you are quite correct, it IS a sweeping statement and I hate those.

Your mistake there was not to carbon copy your local newspaper. It does tend to get their attention.

However, you can't base your views of one company by the reactions of another.

OP
OP
M
As a policeman said to me a few days ago, when he caught me swearing at a driver for driving and texting as he drove out of a side street, 'Its just your word against his, so I can't do anything'. 

Video speaks louder than words, even if the police do their best to ignore it.

400bhp

Guru
Understanding that I may be ostracised for taking matters into my own hands, I was the person who contacted Tony. He deserves the right of reply.

I think that's fair.

Even more so, in the fact that this is a fairly small local business where the OP has bought bikes from in the past. Probably a quick phone call would have done. :smile:

Jezston

Über Member
As a policeman said to me a few days ago, when he caught me swearing at a driver for driving and texting as he drove out of a side street, 'Its just your word against his, so I can't do anything'.

Video speaks louder than words, even if the police do their best to ignore it.

If a policeman tries to fob you off, threaten to go to the IPCC.

Only time I ever got the police involved after a taxi driver tried to run me off the road for daring to be in the correct lane for a turning off a roundabout, the police came over and took a statement, went to his home to 'remind him of his responsibilities under the highway code' (which I occasionally enjoy imagining was a polite way of saying 'giving him a kicking') after I said I was happy to not take things any further than that, and then had a call a few weeks later asking if I was happy with the way the incident was dealt with. I said I was, although I mentioned not hearing anything since and did have a nagging doubt the officer said what he said to reassure me and didn't then actually do anything, she than said she saw his notes and he didn't indeed visit the driver, but she could get him to call me if I still had any concerns, I said I didn't and was very happy.

davefb

Guru
Wow. That is pretty ****ing horrible.

Although, you may have had a better response contacting the local garage rather than the letter getting viewed by the legal department. Hindsight etc. However, in my experience the legal team may of course not wish to accept any liability at all, but that the driver still got a bollocking anyway.

well liability is the issue isnt it,, what you want is for them to say something like 'we spoke to the driver' and it to mean, we reminded the driver that first bus expect them to drive properly
after all, its in their interest to do this,, because if you then have another incident liability would rocket if they were warned about drivers making mistakes and didnt do anything..

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Mr Green sure has been unlucky with his cycling experiences.
rolleyes.gif

Moodyman

Legendary Member
What do you mean by that?

He's been unlucky with three major instances. I commute in Leeds and that's a lot more than I've had. Either I'm lucky or he's not.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I said he's been unlucky. I don't remember criticising Mr Green's riding.

Looks like you're looking for things that aren't there Mikey.

Top Bottom