A few weeks back, in Leeds, I was forced off the road by a van. Guess who the van belonged to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Drakes ,Drakes .Don't talk to me about Drakes i caught the cycling bug from them 20 years ago .And despite having multiple treatments i am still infected .

Nothing but praise for that shop .

PBancroft

Send them an email, and point them towards this thread.

Good idea. If they realise how much bad publicity such actions can create these days, where before it was just one pissed off cyclist, they should give the lad concerned a right bollocking. It is not acceptable.

ftr, if anyone from Woodrups is reading this, my 1980 Woodrup Giro is coming up for a refurb. I was going to send it to you. But this incident is making me think otherwise.

There you go - dangerous driving could have lost you a job. Think on.

taxing

I got a close pass from a white van once, tsked a bit, then did a double take. It was a Jobes Cycles van. I had only bought my bike from them about a month previously, I wonder if they were getting revenge because I complained when my basket broke thanks to their poor fitting of it.

Tony W

This thread was brought to my attention by one of your members as they felt I had the right to be aware of the comments being made about Woodrup Cycles and be provided with an opportunity to have my say regarding this topic.

All of the employees of Woodrup Cycles are keen and active cyclists who are fully aware of the dangers of riding bikes on the roads in and around Leeds. I am therefore surprised to see the statement that a member of staff forced a fellow cyclist off the road. I find it difficult to believe that they would have driven in this manner. I find this allegation extremely serious and will investigate it thoroughly. I would appreciate you contacting me directly with specific information surrounding the incident in order to enable me to conduct a full and fair investigation in to this matter.

I am disappointed that it has taken someone to draw the conversation on this forum to my attention and that ‘michaelrmgreen’ didn’t contact me directly in the first instance in order to resolve this matter and also discuss the later comments placed. I fully understand that everyone has the right to freely express an opinion however, I do not appreciate potentially damaging allegations being placed on a forum without them first being brought to my attention and allowing me any chance to look into these and provide a response in person.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Woodrup
Woodrup Cycles

F*****g Woodrups, that's who. Tony wasn't in the van at the time, just a dark haired youth. Classic.

PBancroft

So it'll be a fair and unbiased investigation, then?

Without wanting to wade in so far that water threatens to dampen my eyebrows, I think you can be as confident that it will be fair as the OP was accurate.

Understanding that I may be ostracised for taking matters into my own hands, I was the person who contacted Tony. He deserves the right of reply.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Good idea. If they realise how much bad publicity such actions can create these days, where before it was just one pissed off cyclist, they should give the lad concerned a right bollocking. It is not acceptable.

ftr, if anyone from Woodrups is reading this, my 1980 Woodrup Giro is coming up for a refurb. I was going to send it to you. But this incident is making me think otherwise.

There you go - dangerous driving could have lost you a job. Think on.

Oooooo I'm sure they feel threatened by that. :laugh:

If I adhered to your train of thought there's barely be a retail establishment that I'd allow myself to use.

classic33

Leg End Member
This thread was brought to my attention by one of your members as they felt I had the right to be aware of the comments being made about Woodrup Cycles and be provided with an opportunity to have my say regarding this topic.

All of the employees of Woodrup Cycles are keen and active cyclists who are fully aware of the dangers of riding bikes on the roads in and around Leeds. I am therefore surprised to see the statement that a member of staff forced a fellow cyclist off the road. I find it difficult to believe that they would have driven in this manner. I find this allegation extremely serious and will investigate it thoroughly. I would appreciate you contacting me directly with specific information surrounding the incident in order to enable me to conduct a full and fair investigation in to this matter.

I am disappointed that it has taken someone to draw the conversation on this forum to my attention and that ‘michaelrmgreen’ didn’t contact me directly in the first instance in order to resolve this matter and also discuss the later comments placed. I fully understand that everyone has the right to freely express an opinion however, I do not appreciate potentially damaging allegations being placed on a forum without them first being brought to my attention and allowing me any chance to look into these and provide a response in person.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Woodrup
Woodrup Cycles

Well now you've found out about it.

Now you have the chance to find out which person was responsible(driving the van) at the time & get their side of the story. If true, you also have a chance to set matters straight.

As for the opening poster, maybe they felt that the stansard response "Our drivers know what they were/are doing" was the best he could expect.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
As for the opening poster, maybe they felt that the stansard response "Our drivers know what they were/are doing" was the best he could expect.

As for the opening poster, why was the alleged incident a couple of weeks after it had supposedly happened. There's two sides to every story and the resolution of this one is made mor difficult by the time between the event and the retelling.

I'm not sure what sort of redress is expected. It's happened no one is hurt. Get over it.

Oooooo I'm sure they feel threatened by that. :laugh:

If I adhered to your train of thought there's barely be a retail establishment that I'd allow myself to use.

Aye, and maybe if more of us boycotted places with bad driving, they'd take note.

I've met Tony. I hope he does investigate this properly. If we get a satisfactory answer, then OK, they get my business. If not, that's several hundred quid heading towards Bramley. It all makes a diffence for a bike shop.

OP
OP
M
 Haha -  OP here. I wasn't knocked off, just surprised when the Woodrup van cut me up. Like all cyclists it's something I've got used to. I was just amused at the irony. Especially so, as I'm a regular customer. 

Tony wasn't on board, just the driver, so no point in complaining. I wouldn't have complained even if he was, we all know that unless you are injured no-one cares.

Jezston

Über Member
Haha - OP here. I wasn't knocked off, just surprised when the Woodrup van cut me up. Like all cyclists it's something I've got used to. I was just amused at the irony. Especially so, as I'm a regular customer.

Tony wasn't on board, just the driver, so no point in complaining. I wouldn't have complained even if he was, we all know that unless you are injured no-one cares.

Anyone who reads similar threads on here would know that a polite email to the company after such incidents usually results in an apology and the driver being reprimanded and given 'training' (punishment).

Top Bottom