a few wise words

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
023dfe55-18c6-4d94-aa1b-99a9ddc0a0c3.jpg
My street in the nifty 50's.Posing for a snapshot in the middle of the road and not a car in sight.
We still had potholes though.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2718997, member: 1314"]People today of all ages still take risks...

Anyway, I certainly don't agree that the 50s/60s/70s/early80s were more prepared to take risks than the kids of today. I work with a loads of kids and I think they deserve our respect for being, on the whole, more enlightened then their predecessors.[/quote]
Non sequitur alert...

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think the above words were meant to be a celebration of the fact that so many of us actually survived our childhood despite the problems, hazards and downright dangers that we experienced on an almost daily basis.

Yes we did some quite ridiculous and dangerous things, but would any of us say we wish we had been born In a different time. I think the answer is not only no, but hell no.

I have no doubt that our grandparents would say that they're childhood was better than ours, and probably kids born after us will say that they're childhood was better. It was what it was, no better or worse and anyone elses childhood, but we look back fondly at what we did. And why shouldn't we. ?

welsh dragon

Ha ha. I have just remembered those horrible balaclavas that the boys all wore in the winter filthy dirty things all covered in sweat dribble and of course the obligatory snot. Jumpers with no sleeves and everyone had the same hairstyle.

Add to that, horrible duffel coats and gloves with string through the sleeves. How disgusting.

Lullabelle

Banana
We lived near a corner that was quite iffy when it snowed so us kids used to hang around and help car drivers when they got a bit stuck, they were very grateful and we earned a few bob for sweets.

compo

Veteran
In the '50's we used to go to a place in Wales called Borth most weekends as we had a caravan there. To get onto the site meant crossing a railway line with public operated gates. In those days, unlike now, people had the brains not to try and cross the line if a train was coming. Anyway the kids would hang about the gates and open and close them for motorists which was usually good for a few pennies. We would also take our trollies up to the station and carry rail passengers luggage to campsites or hotels, also worth a tanner a time, sometimes more depending on the mood of the punter. Hunting around all the campsites for orange juice bottles, pop and beer bottles to get the deposits was another little pocket money activity. Were they good days? Even allowing for the rose coloured specs I think they were but then I expect in 40 years time kids of today will look back and think what good days these are.

welsh dragon

I live just a few miles from there.

Top Bottom