A Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'Fixie' is a term for a fixed-gear bicycle. It is a bicycle without a freewheel so when the bike is moving you have to carry on pedalling.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
'Fixie' is a term for a fixed-gear bicycle. It is a bicycle without a freewheel so when the bike is moving you have to carry on pedalling.
No, "fixed" is a term for a fixed gear bicycle.

A fixie is ridden by an urban fashion junkie who will abandon it when the next "cool" thing comes along.

Knockoffneil

I thought "fixie" was another way of saying a bike you'd built up yourself or something along those lines. I'm going to have to reread quite a few threads now :whistle:

Bicycle

When I built one a few months ago, peoples' descriptions of it fell into three broad groups:

1. Fixie: Largely used by urban riders in the SE. They could be divided into those who thought I was a bit odd and those who thought I was hardcore.

2. Fixed-Gear, Fixed-Wheel or Fixed: Keen or very keen cyclists, including both those who had ridden all their lives and those who have been riding for five years and now have six carbon-framed bikes and use French terms for everything. I have a feeling that these people would never use the term 'fixie'. They are the people who want to know what gearing I use, how I hydrate and whether I have a heartrate monitor.

3. Track Bike: Old road racers who know that 'technically' it is not a track bike, but refer to it that way because it looks not unlike one of their old winter trainers.

My elder son (15) with whom I ride quite a lot just calls it 'that stupid bike'. He resists any urging to ride it, asking what the point is when I'm slower uphill, slower downhill and less able to stop in a hurry. He has a point.

Top Bottom