A Generalisation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I do not see many cars RLJ'ing, the ones I do see are almost always failed amber gamblers.
For the type of RLJ where the lights have been red for a long time, I have only seen one WVM and the rest have all been cyclists. These are just my experiences from lovely Swindon.

A lot of the cycle RLJs I see are also slightly late Amber Gamblers. If Swindon doesn't have the problem of drivers slowing down on red and carrying on if they can get away with it you're lucky - it'll come. Doesn't happen quite so much at busy times because there are still a majority who do stop, and they get in the way. It's most common here on pedestrian and cycle crossings with lights.

One of the few things about helmets that's been properly researched - helmets make some cyclists take risks they wouldn't without.

Reasonable (but by no means certain) to extrapolate that to hi-vis doing the same.

It's called risk homeostasis.

In most incidences the safety equipment offers little extra protection but the perceived protection is far greater. The net effect is that a person is at more risk. Notable other things that this is an issue with: trad climbing (rope - it's there incase you fall it's not all that safe), trad climbing (helmet - it only protects the belayer), skiing (avalanche beacons - they don't help you get found within suffocation time they do help your body get found), skiing (avalanche life jackets - carry you quickly in to tress). Interestingly car insurers released the cars most likely to be in accidents per insured a while back - 4x4s faired terribly - whilst you feel protected you're more likely to make inappropriate decisions.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
A lot of the cycle RLJs I see are also slightly late Amber Gamblers. If Swindon doesn't have the problem of drivers slowing down on red and carrying on if they can get away with it you're lucky - it'll come. Doesn't happen quite so much at busy times because there are still a majority who do stop, and they get in the way. It's most common here on pedestrian and cycle crossings with lights.

I have seen lots of London RLJ car video's to realise how lucky Swindon is, unfortunately it will probably eventually catch on in Swindon someday.

abo

It can be hard enough to teach other adults! Probably easier to start with telling him not to use the front gears yet...

Cool, just what I've been doing. Gets a bit rattly and crosschainy at the big end of the cassette mind but he seems to be getting there

maybe if you had a cadence unit, mount it on there and say "try and keep 60rpm @ 8mph" (and watch them crash into a pothole).

Lol, I'm also trying to get him into the habit of keeping a straight line while riding, being a kid he goes flying all over the place, as they do :tongue:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
your choice :smile: - they are your knees after all...

On a 'bent the mantra is "spin spin spin" because it is really really easy to over do the knee joints - I have yet to spin out top gear on the Orca (max speed, so far, according to GPS is 45mph; yes it was down hill :biggrin: )

B.

I'm not sure that grinding hammers your knees, I think it's a myth that's been destroyed by the numbers of people riding fixed.

I'm with you on a bent, grinding makes it easy to blow up your leg muscles and go slow simply because it's easy to generate so much more pedal force than on an upright. Spinning makes for much more effective speed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Punishment enough I think....today he/she may jump a light or two, but tomorrow he/she will still wake up looking like Mick Hucknall.

Maybe they have to cycle because monies to tight to mention?...... a bit like the squeeze up the side of the bus if the lights had changed :whistle:

If you plan to commute regularly on the bike then I feel gear use and cadence is essential to aid the body. On my old bike I had no knowledge of the above and burnt myself out cycling twice a week. Now I hope to do 3-5 trips a week.

Top Bottom