A good day for sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freakhatz

trustysteed said:
Ha ha ha ha ha.

England beat the frenchies and arsenal blew a win by giving away a penalty in the 2nd minute of injury time.

Worked out nicely. ;)

I'd have been pleased that Arsenal didn't win, but took no pleasure in the result afer seeing the injury to Eduardo.

The commentator said they gave him oxygen as he was stretchered away but in fact it was more likely to have been painkiller.

No, not a good day for sport at all.

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

if you look at my OP, i clearly state that i was happy that england won the rugby, and that arsenal only drew. to me that's a good day at sport, due to my 'allegiances'.

at no time did i say that it was good because of the Eduardo incident. I never mentioned it. it was only after somebody else brought the incident up that several of us discussed it. even then, at no time did i say that was a good thing.

stop reading stuff into posts that don't exist.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Flying_Monkey said:
It was more than an accident. You should never, ever, go in studs showing like that. The game afterwards was subdued and it was clear Arsenal's players were never going to get it together as normal. How someone can claim that this game is an argument for a good day for sport is beyond me, they'd have to be either heartless or just stupid. Sick humour is one thing, lacking a sense of human sympathy is quite another.
Are you suggesting that it was deliberate and premeditated? Should we now outlaw sliding tackles? it was no more than an unfortunate accident. It is not the first time a player has had a broken leg due to a mistimed tackle and guess what? It won't be the last!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
mr_hippo said:
Are you suggesting that it was deliberate and premeditated? Should we now outlaw sliding tackles? it was no more than an unfortunate accident. It is not the first time a player has had a broken leg due to a mistimed tackle and guess what? It won't be the last!

No, I meant what I said - if you go in with studs showing, you should be aware that this kind of thing can happen. It's more likely to be omission ratther than commission, but that's not to say what happened could not have been predicated. And guess what? It's against the rules of the game already - which is why he was sent off. Not only that, he's ended the entire season for a very talented player, meant he will be unable to play for his country in the Euros, and in the worst case scenario ended his career.

I think under these circumstances, asking that people be a bit more careful is hardly even debatable. As a fast winger, I used to be subjected to these kinds of 'tackles' all the time from slower, less skillful players, so I know exactly what it feels like and why Arsene Wenger was so angry at the end. Luckily I was never as badly injured as this, although my knee ligaments will never recover.

trustysteed said:
I disagree with the claim that it was a baddangerous tackle. It was purely an accident and you can see that from the replays.

Are there any replays - all the TV companies seem to have decided not to show it, which makes judging for yourself a bit difficult.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
FM, if you are saying that it was more than an accident [your words] but not deliberate and premeditated [my words] then what was it?
"It's against the rules of the game already" Please see http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/skills/4187728.stm A sliding tackle from behind is illegal and the tackle in question was not from behind.
Any sport has a risk of injury - even tiddlywinks! If you are not willing to take the risk then ...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
mr_hippo said:
FM, if you are saying that it was more than an accident [your words] but not deliberate and premeditated [my words] then what was it?

Let's take an analogy: murder is deliberate and premeditated, manslaughter is unpremeditated killing, and there are all sorts of other more accidental forms of death. Things are not just divided into twos. There are many gradations inbetween a complete accident and something completely deliberate. You don't strike me normally as a fool, so I'm finding it difficult to understand why you don't appear to get this... it wasn't a premeditated assault, not was it some unpredictable total accident.

Any sport has a risk of injury - even tiddlywinks! If you are not willing to take the risk then ...

Yes. But that doesn't mean you have to accept the idiocy of others.

wafflycat

Looking at the images of said broken limb. Firstly, one has to be grateful for modern medicine and secondly, I hope his brain kicks in with the "I can't remember it happening" method of dealing with it.

That and I hope the surgeons can manage to mend the limb properly for him. It's going to give him some gip in the damp weather when he's older...

U

User482

They did show a reply on match of the day. Whilst the Birmingham player didn't appear to be trying to deliberately injure Eduardo, the fact that he went in studs up always meant that injury was a risk. It was a dangerous tackle and the ref was right to send him off.

SamNichols

mr_hippo said:
That type of break is not that uncommon. It is rare on a football field. What do you mean by 'disgusting'?

I mean 'disgusting' in the fact that looking at the injury disgusted me. People sending me picture texts of it didn't help either. I know it's probably not that uncommon, but its uncommon enough for me never to have seen it.

Melvil

SamNichols said:
I mean 'disgusting' in the fact that looking at the injury disgusted me. People sending me picture texts of it didn't help either. I know it's probably not that uncommon, but its uncommon enough for me never to have seen it.

Something fairly similar happened to Djibril Cisse in the World Cup (he also broke his leg and nearly lost it playing for Liverpool). I saw the pics of that one and it weren't pretty.

Top Bottom