A good GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have recently been looking to mapping my rides. I have seen a few cycle computer which have GPS in them but was wondering if there was a cheaper option?

I already have a cycle computer, so was wondering if there were any simply GPS trackers about? As cheap as possible please!

Second hand Garmin Edge 205 maybe, there are non cycling types for a bit cheaper too. Anything will do really for logging.

Was gong to mention a phone too, and how they are crap :tongue:

But, there was a T-Mobile Pulse Mini for £20 recently new, had GPS in it as well. (or £30 that included £10 topup and 6 months internet for free, normally costs £20).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bottom of the range Garmin - the Etrex H will do the job for under £100 including bar mount, cables and rechargeable batteries. Search for posts by me on the subject. So far about 3 or 4 CycleChat members have followed my advice and are now happy Etrex users!

martint235

Dog on a bike
+1 for the Etrex range although I got mid-range Legend HCx (about £120). I used to own an Edge 605 but it got me lost so many times I got rid

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
If just want to log data how about a Holux GPSport 245 (£55)?

I'd be interested to know if they are any good.

That looks like a gooden. I might give it a go.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
+1 for the Etrex range although I got mid-range Legend HCx (about £120). I used to own an Edge 605 but it got me lost so many times I got rid

My garmin 605 has never got me lost, you sure you had the correct maps and installed correctly? As I have the TOPO GB V2 and first use I got lost as the maps weren't installed properly. Got them on correctly and it's been fine ever since.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Was gong to mention a phone too, and how they are crap :tongue:

Ha, they work, but don't half drain the battery. I've never bothered using the phone's GPS to track anything over an hour's ride - mainly used it for off road, but in my rucksack to log rides. Since bought a 705.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My garmin 605 has never got me lost, you sure you had the correct maps and installed correctly? As I have the TOPO GB V2 and first use I got lost as the maps weren't installed properly. Got them on correctly and it's been fine ever since.

Yep tried a couple a different maps installed properly. The 605 would occasionally make it's own mind up, example of which are telling me to turn west when it was blatantly obvious my route was SE. And the classic (riding alongside someone with the same map and same route but different model of GPS) telling me to turn down a farm track on the way back from Wootton Bassett to Marlborough.

I may have had a defective unit in which case Lord help the person that bought it from me. I've had no such problems from the Etrex, the only real problem I've had was when it got upset that I'd missed a waypoint by 10 yards and insisted for the next 5 miles that I should turn around and go back to it.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Yep tried a couple a different maps installed properly. The 605 would occasionally make it's own mind up, example of which are telling me to turn west when it was blatantly obvious my route was SE. And the classic (riding alongside someone with the same map and same route but different model of GPS) telling me to turn down a farm track on the way back from Wootton Bassett to Marlborough.

I may have had a defective unit in which case Lord help the person that bought it from me. I've had no such problems from the Etrex, the only real problem I've had was when it got upset that I'd missed a waypoint by 10 yards and insisted for the next 5 miles that I should turn around and go back to it.

Yea sounds like your 605 was a bit dodgy. Mine works perfectly and always gets me to where I want to go.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Ha, they work, but don't half drain the battery. I've never bothered using the phone's GPS to track anything over an hour's ride - mainly used it for off road, but in my rucksack to log rides. Since bought a 705.
I think they drain the battery if you keep them connected to 3G all the time downloading maps. I find that a simple GPS logger on my phone doesn't really have that problem, because it isn't transmitting anything; it just logs the coordinates to a file. I don't have live satellite navigation then, but it will log the route for many hours and then I just upload the GPX file to MapMyRide when I get home.

Top Bottom