A good GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmm. I like the look of the Holux GPSsport 260. Does anyone know if its possible to fix it to the front stem, as I have no room left on my bars on my cyclocross? :edit: ignore this, if I'd have read the description properly the answer is yes!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Ta for this discussion. New bike should be here later this week. I've been thinking about getting extra wired sensors and a new mount for my sigma 1606.

Now thinking about leaving it where it is and getting the speed/cadence sensor and the bike mount for my Garmin Forerunner 305 :whistle:

Now to google for the best deals......:thumbsup:

I've ordered the Holux GPSport 260, so can update on how good or bad it is as soon as it arrives.

For info, its cheaper on amazon by almost 20 quid once you factor in the P&P from the main site.

It arrived last night, and I've had a short play with it today. I'm quite happy with it. It gives me a lot more info than I get from my smartphone app, and it hooks up to the GPS a LOT better, meaning I'm not sitting waiting for a few minutes before I can set off.

The facility to use it as a live speedo is nice, and the bike mounts it comes with are both simple and effective to fit it to the frame. Its waterproof to IPX7 so no problems about a torrential downpour.

Now the niggles:
The rear rubber housing for the USB hub has fallen off and is lost already after one ride. I don't know if this will affect the waterproofness. Email sent to Holux. If it doesn't, its no big deal.

The default setting for cycling seems to take GPS logs every five seconds. (The live reading updates much faster, I'm talking about what it actually records to the log) This isn't quiet fast enough IMO - I've got a couple of fast corners where the track sows me cutting it, and hell, I want every mile taken into account! Its again not a big issue as you can alter the interval/distance it logs at, so I've upped it to 2 seconds to see how that goes.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Do you think the speed reading is accurate? I am thinking of getting one, but can't decide on the 260 or 260 pro + wheel sensor. If the GPS speed reading is good enough I'd rather go for the cheaper and simpler option of the 260.

Yeah, I'm more than happy with the speed reading, looks, seems and feels right based on my previous experiences and my times etc. Very happy with that.

When I looked at them, the only real bonus of the PRO was the cadence sensor, which wasn't something that I wanted, which is why I got the 260. If monitoring your cadence is a big thing you you, get the pro. Personally, I just make sure my cadence is high and I'm not too worried on an accurate reading!

No reply from Holux yet regarding the missing rear rubber housing.

BSRU

A Human Being
Assuming it generates GPX files, you can log your rides by downloading SportsTracks 3.0, it's free and produces a nice map of where you've been.

My GPS camera records GPS info 4 times a second, so gives a good accuracy.

It does record GPX and of course you could subsequently upload them. If its just for your personal info though, rather than sharing on the web, it also comes with software that stores/analyses/presents the data for you that I was quite impressed with.

A quick update as they deserve it - I mentioned the rubber housing went missing from the Holux GPSport 260 i received - I emailed the company, got a personal reply and a replacement rubber seal posted out to me. No quibbles, no problems, just really good customer service from them.

Top Bottom