A guide to ebikes

Discussion in 'Electric Bikes' started by Pale Rider, 1 May 2015.

1. TyrannosaurusTreks

TyrannosaurusTreks Formerly known as Giantbadge

I was reading a review on a trek road bike & came across this.
    Different interpretations
    There are now fewer ‘grey areas’ than there were when UK and EU laws were different, but we still found some differences of opinion among some people in the industry.

James Fitzgerald, founder of electric bike retailer Just eBike says that “according to EU and UK law there is a 10 per cent margin on the maximum speed allowed for the motors to assist the pedals. But nobody knows about that.” That means that the motor could assist the cyclist up to a 17.5mph speed, and not 15.5 mph.

On the other hand, the brothers Lyle and James Metcalfe – founders of London-based UK ebike brand Volt, said they “had never heard of” this margin for error.

Peter Eland, technical manager of the Bicycle Association, which represents cycle suppliers, manufacturers and associated companies, told us: “The 10 per cent margin was clear in the EU legislation, but it’s questionable in the UK. Some motors cut off at the maximum speed allowed, some before that, but the majority do exceed the tolerance a little.”

Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/electric-bikes-uk-law-234973#mhEAwkPLE3fppRSZ.99

2. voyager

voyager E- tadpole Triker

EAPC regs state 15mph +/- 10%
    = 16.5 mph

regards Emma

3. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I've often noticed my Crossfire appears to be giving some assistance at around 16 mph but never thought much about it. I will watch more intently next time..

4. TyrannosaurusTreks

TyrannosaurusTreks Formerly known as Giantbadge

5. jowwy

jowwy The bearded Powerhouse

It’s actually 25km/h which relates to 15.5mph in English money......so +/- 10% = 17.05

6. voyager

voyager E- tadpole Triker

7. jowwy

jowwy The bearded Powerhouse

its the same as motor vehicle speeding never quotes the +/- 10% but it does exist, because public speedometers are not tested and regulated in MOTs as it would cost way too much........

Cressida dick the police commissioner has campaigned in the past for the 10% leeway to be removed

According to a National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) spokesperson that the rule is a “guidance” and “not part of legislation.”

“The 10 per cent rule is allowed in guidance but it is not part of legislation.

“It is used as a rule of thumb for enforcement – 10 per cent over the speed limit plus 2mph.

“The thinking behind this is to ensure that enforcement is proportionate.”

One of the main reasons that drivers are given a tolerance when speeding offences are concerned is due to inaccuracies in equipment that is used to measure speed.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2019
  8. ebikeerwidnes

ebikeerwidnes Member

There have been several senior police officers around recently that are threatening to start prosecuting based on 1mph over the limit - and claim that they are entitled to do so

SO the 10% thing on ebikes may also be dodgy
    anyway - mine cuts out at 15.5 - so I'm OK
    can't see anyone checking though - and how could you prove easily that it had cut out and the cyclits wasn't pedalli a bit still

9. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

This puzzles me too - how could anyone check whether you were riding with assistance or not? - and why bother? If you were riding at 20mph for example, the sort of speed it is quite reasonable to attain on a bike under leg power alone.

10. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

That is true, but where things might fall out of bed is if an illegal ebike is involved in a serious accident and there is a proper investigation.

The offence is not speeding, it's using a derestricted ebike in a place where the public has access.

In other words, it is illegal to use such a bike at 10mph.

I've not heard of any cases of an ebiker being prosecuted, but there may have been one or two.

There was an incident, I think in London, in which an ebiker knocked over a pedestrian and fled on foot.

Not sure if he was ever identified.

11. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

I remember the bike was found, I have a vague recollection that the rider was identified but not heard anything further.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice